Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

COOLANT system help needed

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
I was going step by step with this article on flushing and refitting a new thermostat etc etc. But as I've just put it all back together this happened... :(

2012-10-05163221.jpg

The fluid is leaking out of here. I sort of knew it would because before I filled it, if I squeezed that tube there, it would bubble underneath the thermostat housing. I also knew because the fellow who wrote the article said that the gasket should be adhesive on one side and it was not adhesive. It was just like a piece of cotton or fibre. I got it from Repco... I don't know whether I was meant to personally apply adhesive to the gasket or what.

So now I'm stuck I guess.

Any ideas? Go back to Repco and scream hellfire at them? Lol.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Get some gasket sealant and smear a little on both sides of the gasket. I have replaced a gasket dry and it didn't leak. Did you clean both surfaces thoroughly and make sure any old gasket residue was removed?

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I was going hard on it with degreaser and a blade. Might have to take it apart again and have a look... What is this gasket sealant? And its ten to five now, shops will be shut in a minute.
Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, will I need another new gasket now because this one is now soaked in coolant?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I use Permatex 3 non hardening gasket sealant but I'm sure other brands will do just as well. Maybe dry the wet gasket in front of a heater or hairdryer for a few minutes.
You will need to wait till tomorrow for the shops to open I guess, nothing open after about 5.30.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Yea... isnt it leaking from the hose....

its got no clamp.
gonna have to drain the system and put the clamp on.

i noticed this instantly.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah the clamp is still there it was just pushed to the side. I was testing before I tightened everything up. I did notice that in the picture though.
Anyway happy story, I rushed off to Repco and got there before 5.30. I grabbed a $13 tube of black silicone gasket sealant and brought it home. The guy at the shop reckoned to just use that instead of the gasket because the gasket was paper based and would weep after six months anyway. Rightly enough when I opened the thermostat housing again I was able to rip it in half without any effort. So I gave it a good smearing with the black silicone stuff and voila! It's all gravy now bro. Not a leak. And all before tea time.