Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolants - interesting obersvation or plain mistaken?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
So, I recently bought a bottle of penrite blue coolant for my other car (https://penriteoil.com.au/products/7-year-450000km-blue-concentrate). I got to reading about coolant technologies and noticed this:

What's really interesting is if you read the AC Delco Dex Cool flyer, the penrite blue & dexcool seem identical. Both run corrosion inhibitors which are OAT (organic technology).
That made me think, what's the difference between penrite blue and red, red being the recommended coolant for the VF according to penrite. They seem identical but for the fact that they use Si-OAT, or silicon with OAT.

Here's the link to the dexcool specs: https://acdelco.com.au/pdf/flyer/ACDelco_flyer_DexCoolRedCoolant.pdf

Both the blue and the red penrite coolant meet GM 6277M (which is VF coolant requirement) But it seems the red includes silicon, while the blue as well as dex cool do not. Ergo, blue penrite is closer to dex cool than red penrite.
I checked Nulon, and it seems both the blue and the red are silicate free! Cant' tell the difference between them!

In any event I use dexcool, but wondering if people more knowledgeable than me have any input.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah cuz. Stick with dexcool unless you can do proper full flush and replace dexcool with 10 odd litres of different coolant

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
It seems the colour of coolants with respect to contents varies around the world. I ignore the colour and read the fine print, as to what's actually in the bottle.