Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cooling change aliminiump pipe through drive tensioner disconnected l67 help

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Hi new to joining but read and thanks for all the help with your posts!

I have a Calais l67 1998 just over 200000 k and changed water pump both tensioner s and the pipe running through the drive belt Tensioner with t
He washer in it had come of on my test drive after bleeding and filling the coolant. It still has air in it and I have used the method of a funnel and washer tightly kept around the radiation opening and added coolant cold then turned the car and heater on and added more and it didn't work first go. i also had it on a hill facing up. The over flow I filled but it only seemed to suck up when it was turned of. I put the cap on and off an it again and waited for it to suck up a bit which it did. Thnext day I added more cold and then turned it on and heater and ac on and revving it to 2500 and added more and I'm pretty close to the 12 litres.

When I test drove it the pipe blew of half way about 5 minutes and over heated. I pushed it back on and it seems ok I was wondering if it's air pressure which pushed it off and also I hadn't clamped it to the clamp as when pulling it apart I actually though that the join was supposed to stay together on the pipe and ended up cutting of the clamp on the pipe ( it not really a clamp more of a metal joining part) which is attached with a small bolt. Is there a fix for this or do I need to? I didn't worry to much as when I attached the heater hose to it it seemed strong and very firm. I don't no what to do and am not sure if tonight I should try one more bleed or if this pipe will disconnect. At times the hoses get solid and it doesn't leak so I believe ther is no leakes and I replaced the heater tap and hoses only a few moths ago.

Any advice would be great I'm in Adelaide at the moment and on a disability pension at the moment and as my break up I'm pretty broke and my car is all I have even accomodation I'm couch surfing.

I'll send pictures if you need cheers everyone ps sorry I accidentally put this in the YT thread and unsure how to delete

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, you kinda need the hose clamps on the coolant hoses or they will blow off as the radiator cap pressurises and maintains a set pressure in the coolant system.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Thanks for replying it's not the hose clamps I probably haven't explained it well as I don't no the name of the part I know it's in the inlet pipe inside the belt tensioner which I replaced and at the end it is welded on I cut mine off as I didn't know the connection just pulled of and needed to ouch it through the middle of the drive belt tensioner .the o ring kept it together and sealed . I believe it's an o ring which has made it slip off and I did put a new one on I also greased it. I m wondering if pressure of air blew it off or it it needs a better o ring like a Holden one instead of gates, also I have used now some aviation gasket glue hoping this helps it stay sealed It seems to have lost a little as I have now put the full 12 litres at 50% and I'm getting some more but worried it will come off it feels tight when I pull it but I'm unsure and hoping when all air has gone I can not worry as I'm driving 2000km to the Gold Coast soon. Cheers again

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That pipe, once fitted properly shouldn't move and there is no way the O ring should be able to come out unless something isn't assembled correctly. You shouldn't need to cut the pipe, it is held in place by a support bracket secured on the engine with a nut on a stud.

A pic (of what you have done) might explain things better.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
yes i found out that after i cut the support bracket off with the hack saw, was during heat wave, could not work out how it could come apart and i couldn't refit it unless it did, i only found out it comes off when i cut right through the fracker, and then i grinder it back to smooth. I realised i can buy this piece new for 40 so not to bad an a wreckers hopefully cheaper as the o ring is new and if i use the bracket it should stay on , gone through a lot of coolant though almost 11 litres of concentrate, but m,y ration is quite high about 60 plus % concentrate. I found the huge flush i did also has helped my thermo fans as they used to come on even when i started the car cold so I'm thinking maybe a sensor is cleaned or the thermostat is no longer sticky, as i believe it was done when my head gasket was done.

Anyway THANKS :rofl2: for the reassurance , I'm doing some more work to it and hoping it will be 100% for my 2000k drive and have no doubt ill really enjoy it.