Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cooling fan not engaging

Wynnie88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore S1
my cooling fan will not come on while driving around.

There is nothing wrong with my actual fan because it works when i remove the coolant temperature sensor and i know its not the thermostat either because i just replaced it. Also i was driving around with my coolant temperature sensor disconnected so fan was going on high speed yet my car was still overheating (however not as aggressively)

i am puzzled into what it is? can some one please help me? please remember that my low fan speed is not engaging but my high fan speed i believe is, because once my temperature gauge hits nearly completely hot and i hear the fan click in and
it quickly goes back down to half way.

COMMON PROBLEMS DISREGARDED
* My radiator cap is fine
* radiator is not blocked (i just flushed it)
* it may be a faulty coolant temperature sensor but does not explain why my low fan speed is not engaging
* thermostat is fine
* head gasket is fine (no bubbles in coolant)
* not the Fan relays ( hi or lo) because they work when coolant temperature sensor disconnected

on a final complexing note, i believe that the air conditioning is linked with the radiator fan in these models of Holden's. when air conditioning is on the cooling fan should also be, however mine does not.

please help me

brocknjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
just because its a new thermostat doesnt mean its not faulty, try boiling some water in a cup and drop the thermostate into the water (carefully) and make sure its opening fully

fasamr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 ltz
check your fan relay

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Follow the wires back from the cooling fan as maybe someone has played around with the wires trying to make the fan come on all the time.
Normally the lo speed fan will come on at 3/4 gauge reading....hi will come on at any time if you switch the aircon on.
I'd also reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds - maybe running the car without the sensors has logged a error.
When you say the car is "still overheating" exactly what do you mean by that....like does the coolant tank overflow or can you hear the engine boiling when switched off.
Good Luck.

clazzza commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 vr executive wagon
i had almost the exact same problem on my vr,the temp gauge would go rite up 2 almost over heat and the fan never come on.dismist all the same things as u did and took it 2 the auto sparky they had a look(didnt charge) and said it was all fine should be working....it didnt so i took it back and they replaced all the wires from fan 2 relay and now it works fine.cost about $150 for them 2 do all that

kkeivm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
hey my cooling fan doesnt work either it has a new relay, new thermostat but the car keeps overheating and the radiator coolant overflows. There is nothing wrong with the parts as we tested them in another car and they work fine. thinking it may be sensor or now thinking wires any ideas

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
hey my cooling fan doesnt work either it has a new relay, new thermostat but the car keeps overheating and the radiator coolant overflows. There is nothing wrong with the parts as we tested them in another car and they work fine. thinking it may be sensor or now thinking wires any ideas

Did you test the actual fan motor? - if it does work then as an interim measure I'd hot-wire it so it comes on whenever the engine is running just to make sure the overheating is related to the cooling fan not coming on.

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
sounds stupid but have the cooling systems been bled properly? what engine 6 or 8???