Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooling system bleed up on vyss.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
i bought the red 5year long life coolant from holden yesterday and wanted to know whats the best way to bleed up the cooling system on my vy ss?

thanks in advance,

Ben.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
i bought the red 5year long life coolant from holden yesterday and wanted to know whats the best way to bleed up the cooling system on my vy ss?

thanks in advance,

Ben.

Just fill it up, start the engine with the cap off & add coolant if necessary until its warm. Then close the cap, drive as normal, run the heater & double check the level when cold.
The ls1 doesnt have the same issues as the V6 engine.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
oh ok, cool,cool, yeh my vr v6 was a pain in the ass to bleed up, thats why i asked and iv never worked on a newer model commodore, especialy gen3 cooling system except for oil and filter changes on it,
iv got a pressure tester at work that will fit to an ls1 cooling system reservoir, so i'll fill it up, put the tester on to check for leaks and do that, iv noticed on some cars that after filling up the cooling system then using the pressure tester it tends to bring the air to the surface of the reservoir then they flow quit easily from there.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
carried out the cooling system flush just before i went away, was fine used the 5 year long life coolant from holden, the red/orange stuff, drained the block too at the thermostat so it took the whole 5ltr container and a liter of water, pressure tested the system as i had the thermostat out, bleed it up, was all ok, drove around christmas, boxing day, then drove from melbourne (keysborough area) to dayelsford and around there, all ok, did a day trip to Bendigo and it was ok till i came back to the car in the arvo and found a puddle of coolant under the car and on the crank pulley :( the next couple of days it did the same thing, topped up about 1-1.5 ltrs of water in the system, but the last two days it hasn't dropped on the ground, just on the crank pulley and drive belt, and yesterday on the way back from dayelsford didn't drop any level in the cooling system for the water, this happened to anyone before with a gen3?

looks like it's leaking out of the water pump shaft, between the pump and the pulley, dried up stains there today, got it booked in to go to holden under warranty to get the pump replaced.