Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooling system, overheating, i've replaced almost everything Help!!

Miss_BB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Fan speed relay was the first thing fixed as aparently the fan wasn't going fast enough for the radiator guy. Now when high speed kicks in it sounds like i have a helicopter under my bonnet. Will have to look at the reciept to know for sure whether it was replaced or just fixed. In any case it works well.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Welsh plugs may need replacing.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Sounds like you practically have covered everything except for the radiator and also gauge itself.

Shambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series III CV8 & VE 3.0 Omega
Assuming its an auto have you checked the transmission fliud level?

Might sound daft but the radiator cools the trans fluid and if its low that gives it less time to cool when its circulating causing the water cooling system to get extra hot.

I cant remeber the steps to check the fluid level correctly, i think its warm up and check it when the engine is warm and while its idling, i know its in the owners manual if you have one.

Sounds like all you have left is the radiator after that.

Miss_BB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Transmission is fine, even has its own fancy extra large cooler as i used to tow a camper trailer behind me for holidays. Just about to get a radiator. Looking at 2nd hand for now just as i can get one to me sooner, and have it fixed sooner.

Can anyone tell me if a radiator from a VR series 2 will work on my VS? I know after 96 the design got changed.

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
at idle, in park, when does the first fan kick in? half way? etc?

also does it cool down and switch off(check this while still at idle in park) or does high speed kick in after a while of the low speed been on?

Normally when low speed kicks in, it should run for about a minute or so, and be sufficient to cool it down and switch the fan off after that.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Brand new vs radiators on ebay for only $90

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
It should fit it just depends if its a screw on or push on connection

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I had similar issues. Before you buy a radiator chuck on a new radiator cap $10 from any auto shop...might not be holding enough pressure.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
VR radiator will not fit a series 2 VS due to trans cooler connections and don't be tempted to bodgy up the connections as if they come loose you blow your trans!!. Has your mech screwed the plugs out to check if any are showing signs of a leaky head gasket which is leaking hot gases into the coolant etc...that is normally one of the first things you'd do.