Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cooling System (Pellets)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
for the small price they are why wouldnt you?

I know a lot of people wont use them because they seem to "crud up" the cooling system after a while,and they make the coolant look dirty/rusty.I dont use them.I do use castrol coolant that is specifically made for the commodore V6 engine though...

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
the castrol anti freeze 350? i searched hi and low for it but couldnt find it anywhere.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I threw the bottles ages ago,so im not 100% sure,but it might have been called something like "350" actually,but I know it says on the front of the bottle that its specifically made for the commodore/toyota lexan V6 engine.It cost around $45 for 5 litres.I got it from supercheap.I was using a few different coolant brands, except for the cheap stuff, before I spotted the castrol one specifically made for the V6 engine,so I thought Id try it out,and have been using it for a while now.Ive done two coolant changes with it.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
I know a lot of people wont use them because they seem to "crud up" the cooling system after a while,and they make the coolant look dirty/rusty.I dont use them.I do use castrol coolant that is specifically made for the commodore V6 engine though...

true true it does make it look rusty. I only use them because Holden recommended me to use them thats all. Ive never thought about it to "crub up" the system but i can see ur point there.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Umm... the pellets were for lubricating seals not corrosion inhibitor arn`t they after 1997 type b coolant has lube added to it in which case pellets are obsolete from what I know.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
The Pellets are to A. Extend the life of your coolant and B. Lubricate Seals.
Always use a coolant that complies with the HN2043 Specifications usually castrol 350, nulon long life coolant .
There is three types of coolant
(TYPE A)Ethylene Glycol (mono ethylene glycol to be exact). In concentrate form is does come from some manufacturers quoted as grams per litre concentrate, but under AS/NZS 2018.1, 1998 Type A (from memory), to pass standard it must have at least 95% ethylene glycol, by volume, the rest is usually a corrosion package. This type of coolant is an anti freeze-anti boil and commonly referred to as Type A concentrate.
Type B is Radiator corrosion inhibitor ... this is as it says, no ethylene glycol to speak of, even if the 200 ml cans says it has some, by the time you mix at the recommended treat rate of 5%, there is not enough glycol to make a difference to boiling and freezing points.

3. this is the more recent type of coolant known as OAT (organic acid technology) and is becoming more common in new vehicles, and is usually not compatable with ethylene glycol coolants. (red coolant dont use this in your commodore......)

Type A coolants can be diluted as per OEM (vehicle) requirements, usually from 33% glycol to 50% glycol in demin or distilled water.
Type B coolants are not anti freeze-anti boil, but straight corrosion inhibitors.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Umm... the pellets were for lubricating seals not corrosion inhibitor arn`t they after 1997 type b coolant has lube added to it in which case pellets are obsolete from what I know.

So would you use it in nulon long life coolant, it lasts five years any way so the pellet would still be obsolete right?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
So would you use it in nulon long life coolant, it lasts five years any way so the pellet would still be obsolete right?
Pretty Much most of them come with the lubricant in them.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
After taking the side tank of my old radiator I will not use Pellets ever again. All they are good for is blocking your radiator up