Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cooling system problems

Neil van Ek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Greetings everyone. I have a 11/00 VX 3.8l ecotech and am having a few problems related to the cooling system.
My problems began with a blown head gasket which has been repaired. After replacing the head gaskets, I decided to revitalise the cooling system. I replaced all the hoses, the radiator, the thermostat and the radiator cap. Since replacing everything associated with the cooling syste, I have had an issue with the check engine light coming on whenever the temperature gauge gets to just below the half mark. Should I be replacing the temp sensor and the sensor that turns the fans on?
Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was needed to rectify the problem?
Your help with sorting my cooling system problem will be greatly appreciated.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m going to tell you to bleed the system with a bleed funnel, not the bloody air bleed screw.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Agree with manchu on this one the bleed screw is dog **** doesn't work at all pretty much.

Also yeah reckon go scan tool first off before anything else, always need to know what that light is on about.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Attachments

• 7D6DB058-AD9C-4A1A-AD6E-E205C8541C99.jpeg
    7D6DB058-AD9C-4A1A-AD6E-E205C8541C99.jpeg
    955.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Neil van Ek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thank you all for your suggestion. I haven’t had any problems bleeding the system using the bleed screw at all, but I will get myself a bleed funnel as suggested. I do have an aldl cable as well as the appropriate software for the 3.8l ecotech engine. Unfortunately it hasn’t recognised the error so I am left in the dark as to why the light keeps coming on. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealership and have them plug it in and have them tell me what the problem is so I can rectify it.
My next question is, will the code clear it’s self once I repair the problem?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The very fact you are having cooling issues suggests to me that the bleed screw is insufficiently removing the trapped air.