Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cooling System Series 2 VX V6 eco

Whats wrong with it lol

• Headgasket?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Was just valley gaskets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vxlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina/ 3.8L ecojet S2
Also im only using water, and when i left the cap off when the water reached boiling temp it was bubling back out but that's running it, with the radiator cap off and car running for 15-20 is it normal if you leave cap off and it does this after the period of time? As this isn't my first encounter and i have no white smoke no oil under my radiator cap, no floor leaks no visible leaks now iv brought a pressure system checker so ill get results from that hopefully, cheers for the advice so far guys has helped with some things also iv changed hose clamps

Last edited:

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
you cant run or bleed this system with the cap off..it needs to be pressurized and the bleed nipple loosened,the water being pushed out is because there is air in the system.... as I said do a search for bleeding cooling system

vxlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
you cant run or bleed this system with the cap off..it needs to be pressurized and the bleed nipple loosened,the water being pushed out is because there is air in the system.... as I said do a search for bleeding cooling system
I have done both mate iv been told various things so im confused to what way is right

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
try this.....with the car cold...fill the radiator, now with the cap off undo the bleed screw....if water go's down in the radiator and no water comes out tighten bleed screw and repeat till water dribbles out..put on cap and run car up to operating temp, go for a drive and take a flat blade screw driver with you...just undo the bleed screw(when at operating temp) you should hear a hiss or see water dribble out...if hiss wait till you cant hear it any more, tighten screw wait a min or 2 and repeat till you see water come out bleed screw....let it cool (make sure the expansion tank has water in it) when cool check the expansion tank see if level has drop or empty if so top up.....

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
you got the heater on yes?

vxlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes on 1 and wozza ill give it a go man thank you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For years I've bled cooling systems and with the V6 systems then tend to overheat on the first start due to the fact you end up with hot air under the thermostat so it doesn't open. Once the majority of the air is out you just top up coolant after every heat cycle but recently I bought one of these when I was working on my boys Subaru and although my old way wasn't bad with one of these it's just piss easy. Top up and let the engine run until hot and it stops bubbling, then let it cool and you are done.
81IGFvaAmOL._SS400_.jpg

I believe supercheap sell a copy.

I don't much like the VT-VY V6 cooling system with the expansion tank below the radiator. You need to make sure the hose going down to the tank is clear (if you have had to replace the intake gaskets chances are it's full of gunk) and it can get an airlock in the hose. I take it out of the tank and make sure it's clear, let coolant run through it as I put it back into the tank to purge the air out. I much prefer the older VN-VS expansion tank so it's a simple visual check to ensure the cooling system is full.

... and a decent radiator cap, I've found you need a CPC branded radiator cap (genuine is supplied by CPC), the Tridon ones have a different seal and don't work as well on the Holden V6 plastic radiator filler necks.

vxlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thank you think its a slow leak inside the combustion chamber but there's no smoke no water in exhaust doesnt overheat but can anyone tell me what this useless things for its not connected to **** lol

Attachments

• 20190415_130824.jpg
    20190415_130824.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 226

vxlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a straight radiator no tank on the left straight radiator iv done a pressure test and it very very slowly goes down but ever so slightly

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Ok thank you think its a slow leak inside the combustion chamber but there's no smoke no water in exhaust doesnt overheat but can anyone tell me what this useless things for its not connected to **** lol
NFI....... you will have to follow it back to find out whats on the other end :) ...it could be the trans breather line, but that looks like an air fitting in the end your holding