Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cops and p platers

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
I was being followed by a cop for a couple of km's and i know my speedo's a tad slow to respond and maybe a bit out...just wondering if i was speeding would he of pulled me over or could he just send the ticket? he seemed to go out of his way to follow me as he cut across 2 lanes at the last minute to follow me... cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't worry, if you had done something wrong you would know about it. He was probably doing a database check to see if your car had been reported for anything.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I was being followed by a cop for a couple of km's and i know my speedo's a tad slow to respond and maybe a bit out...just wondering if i was speeding would he of pulled me over or could he just send the ticket? he seemed to go out of his way to follow me as he cut across 2 lanes at the last minute to follow me... cheers

Driver needs to be identified. If just seeing the car doing it and sending the ticket was enough, I'd be writing endless notes each day (when I'm not working) and be writing out dozens and dozens of tickets in my next shift. The stats would be amazing. I wouldn't need to do anything else.

The only offences that can just be a ticket sent to the registered owner is Operator/Owner Onus offences, like parking. The other exception is of course speed/red light cameras. They are governed by their own legislation that allows for a ticket to be sent to the registered owner and then it's up to them to nominate another person driving if that's what the case is.

They were most likely checking your rego as there can sometimes be a delay getting a result back.

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
yeah thanks for the reply guys..he must of been doing a database check because he was driving extremely slow aswell..spose ive got nothing to worry about then

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
or just letting you know they were there

after all, you obviously knew/remember they were behind you so it worked :thumbsup:

or they could've been about to respond to a job requiring them to do a U turn only to be cancelled ... so many factors but I think youve got your answer :yeah:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
It was most certainly a Rego check.

If the car was registered to a female (or someone completely opposite to your description) they usually still pull you up for a chat. I had this a few times when i sold my VL to my sister, but was borrowing it off of her when my car **** itself, and had it maybe 3 times in a few months. They do their license check, realize my last name is the same as my sisters (the registered owner) and be on their way.

I think its great that they do this, as i'd love for them to stop someones car being stolen, by just randomly checking (assuming the person doesn't even know the car has been stolen at the time)

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
It was most certainly a Rego check.

If the car was registered to a female (or someone completely opposite to your description) they usually still pull you up for a chat. I had this a few times when i sold my VL to my sister, but was borrowing it off of her when my car **** itself, and had it maybe 3 times in a few months. They do their license check, realize my last name is the same as my sisters (the registered owner) and be on their way.

I think its great that they do this, as i'd love for them to stop someones car being stolen, by just randomly checking (assuming the person doesn't even know the car has been stolen at the time)

Exactly. I don't know if other states have this but in Victoria we have the flashy Mobile Data Network. This means that we can sit there all day with the computers in cars tapping out rego numbers as we see them. This method ends up catching the unregistered and stolen ones.

There's also a direct link that can be taken to have a peek at the registered owners licence. As Stealthy said, if we have a look at their licence and it's registered to a female and there's a female driving, we can usually assume that's the person driving it.

That way when the licence shows as disqualified or suspended we've got our man, or woman. Other times the licence might show as a having prior history for drink driving so it indicates it may be worthwhile stopping to re-acquaint them with Mr Breath Test.

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
VicCop do cops care much if they find a p plater driving a manual but only have an auto licence...ive been contempleting driving my brother manual ute just to drop some stuff off at the tip but ive only got an auto licence...is it worth the risk? or big fines?

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Exactly. I don't know if other states have this but in Victoria we have the flashy Mobile Data Network. This means that we can sit there all day with the computers in cars tapping out rego numbers as we see them. This method ends up catching the unregistered and stolen ones.

There's also a direct link that can be taken to have a peek at the registered owners licence. As Stealthy said, if we have a look at their licence and it's registered to a female and there's a female driving, we can usually assume that's the person driving it.

That way when the licence shows as disqualified or suspended we've got our man, or woman. Other times the licence might show as a having prior history for drink driving so it indicates it may be worthwhile stopping to re-acquaint them with Mr Breath Test.

I think this is absolutely fantastic! - Although it can be a bit of an inconvenience at times, I'd much rather put up with it and have a much better chance of getting a stolen car recovered!

I had a suspision that this was happening - I once drove a friends car from a dyno shop (it's a bit of a beast), with custom plates etc. I was driving the car as my friend (the registered owner, in the passanger's seat) had lost his license!....

As I was pulling out from the dyno shop, a divvy van rolled by casually the opposite way to which we were turning. We thought we'd be sneaky and avoid any potential EPA notice hassles by waiting till they were 'out of sight/out of mind' before pulling out onto the road as casually and quietly as a heavily modified car would allow.

Sure enough, we were pulled over by the same van a few hundred meters down the road, if that (lol)!

The police were friendly etc, but they instantly asked if I (the driver) was the registered owner of the car, and did the license check etc. - It was almost as if they presumed that I was driving with a suspended license :p!. In either case, after a few friendly comments about the car, we were on our merry way.

I was very surprised with how quickly they must have run the reg - do they use ANPR (auto num plate recognition) by any chance? or is it being trialled? - although I suspect it was the custom plates that made it possible/easy.