Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cops and p platers

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
they must be able to proove in court that you where speeding. no speed gun = no proof. moving car = no speed gun... no fine :p

its a technicallity but it works - i've done it :p

No speed detection = no proof? All the evidence that's required is the observations of police. Speed testing by means of a precribed device (laser, radar, digitector) are simply additional bits of evidence.

My evidence in a contested matter would go something like: "I observed the defendant travelling south east on the Monash Freeway through Dandenong at a fast rate of speed that I estimated as being 120 km/h. I followed behind the defendant, matched my speed to his, and followed him from Stud Road to Heatherton Road being a distance of approximately one kilometer. I then determined the speed of the defendant's vehicle to be 125 km/h between Stud Road and Heatherton Road."

Our cars these days, at least he Holdens, have the trap speed function on them. This enables us to trap the speed we're travelling at when clocking someone from a follow speed. This way the accused driver is able to inspect the speedo to see what speed they were snapped at.

Remember, police are considered by the courts to be expert witnesses when it comes to estimating speed. If I sit on the side of a road all day checking cars that are going 80 all the time then I start to know what doing 80 looks like. That way anyone doing more than that will stand out and I'll look and think, "That car's moving a bit quick, I reckon about 100". I then use a laser (prescribed device) to confirm my estimate.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Hypothetically, you use your speed trap, or even a laser gun, get a speed reading.
Then, pull over a 'different' car. Is there any proof speed reading was from said car?

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
i believe it may not be too tricky to get an exemption anyway...i friend of mine has a v8 mercedes and managed to get an exemption, still can't figure out how me managed to get one though.

Its actually pretty easy to get a exemption...

Simply get yourself an ABN number (costs around $40 from memory), and when you purchase a car register it under the business name. That way its a company car and therefore the power to weight rules do not apply. Vicroad gives the permit pretty easily.

The only downside is you need to fill out a quarterly BAS statement, and need to do some sort of work each year for the business to be legit. Again though, mow a couple of neighbours lawns and its a legit business.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
I've been told, by vicroads, that if you need the car for work purposes you don't need a permit at all, and your automatically exempt. If your pulled up, you say you drive the car for work, if you are issued a fine, contact vicroads and they will assist you.

Also a quote from: Graduated Licensing System | Helping young drivers be safer drivers - High powered vehicle restrictions faq

Exemptions will only be considered in exceptional circumstances where it can be proven by the driver that he/she will endure undue hardship if the exemption is not granted. All requests for an exemption must be in writing and sent to:
VicRoads
Exemptions
Locked Bag 5000
KEW VIC 3101
Probationary drivers required by their employer to drive a high powered vehicle during working hours will be automatically exempted.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Its actually pretty easy to get a exemption...

Simply get yourself an ABN number (costs around $40 from memory), and when you purchase a car register it under the business name. That way its a company car and therefore the power to weight rules do not apply. Vicroad gives the permit pretty easily.

The only downside is you need to fill out a quarterly BAS statement, and need to do some sort of work each year for the business to be legit. Again though, mow a couple of neighbours lawns and its a legit business.

I hope you don't forget about FBT tax implications when it comes to having a business registered car. Can amount to a lot of money.

Furthermore, the vehicle will be only exempt for use during business hours and if you look at the legislation i'm sure there will be a catch all in there along the lines of "for business purposes". During daylight hours Mon - Fri you will probably be fine, but during the weekends or having a car load of mates heading to wherever, you might find you are in more **** than you know what to do with.

Reaper

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
I hope you don't forget about FBT tax implications when it comes to having a business registered car. Can amount to a lot of money.

Furthermore, the vehicle will be only exempt for use during business hours and if you look at the legislation i'm sure there will be a catch all in there along the lines of "for business purposes". During daylight hours Mon - Fri you will probably be fine, but during the weekends or having a car load of mates heading to wherever, you might find you are in more **** than you know what to do with.

Reaper

Yes it has to be during working hours.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
What if you do work outside of business hours? There are 24 hours plumbers, locksmiths, etc.

Who can be bothered anyway? You're going to be paying ridiculously high premiums for a car that probably isn't even that fast. Get a motorbike if you want speed that badly.

You'll be able to munch just about any car on the road with a learner bike. You can get a motorbike on your P plates in Victoria that will need a Bugatti Veyron to beat it, just about nothing under $1 million will even come close.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Who can be bothered anyway? You're going to be paying ridiculously high premiums for a car that probably isn't even that fast. Get a motorbike if you want speed that badly.

You'll be able to munch just about any car on the road with a learner bike. You can get a motorbike on your P plates in Victoria that will need a Bugatti Veyron to beat it, just about nothing under $1 million will even come close.

But cars are better :p

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
VicCop

I was driving in a school zone at about 160kph at about 8:30am and like, a cop had a radar gun. Do you think i will get a ticket?

I mean i was just keeping up with traffic, to be more specific, a Ford Falcon GTP that took off from the lights next to me.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Try in the Ask the Copper thread mate, you'll get a quicker response, and Viccop would be the only cop to have a subscription to this thread, whereas Helly and the other have one for the copper thread.