Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cops caring about exhaust loudness?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
^ Agreed, if your stupid and run straight through pipes with no mufflers or anything, or have exhausts dumped at the diff or earlier, than you deserve anything you get.
each to their own man, i loooove dumper setups. the sound of a twin 2.5" dump on a 304 is unreal.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
I wouldn't assume they would pull you over unless as previously stated it was stupidly loud.
It isn't too hard to tell by ear if something is well over the legal limit.
I've found that if its louder than average, legal or not, they will more than likely pull you over for a random breath test, check your lisence status or give your car an inspection for road worthy-ness.
I guess just be careful, and if you must have it illegal then try to limit it a bit.
We all know that cops will try to book us for whatever they can if they see reason.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
each to their own man, i loooove dumper setups. the sound of a twin 2.5" dump on a 304 is unreal.

Oh don't get me wrong, the sound is awesome. But if you think it won't attract attention from the fuzz then you have air for brains.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
What I have noticed happening in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, might be happening else where as well is that they are setting up random breath tests and EPA and roadworthy checks together, we had a big one here in Nunawading recently where they closed Maroondah highway and directed cars into the RBT then moved you onto the roadworthy and EPA checks, the EPA were doing the noise testing and they had police in blue overalls doing the roadworthys, also had Imigration there as well. Big right up in the local paper, apparently they caught heaps of unroadworthy/unregistered etc. The article said they were planning more operation like this as it was a huge sucess.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
up in melton a few years ago they used to take rego numbers of loud or done up cars and send the person a letter demanding they produce their car at the police station so they could do about 50 in a saturday i know i was made to produce mine they nearly all got canarys except mine but it cost me a fair bit of cash in the three days to get it rwc and quiet not sure if they still do it though.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
up in melton a few years ago they used to take rego numbers of loud or done up cars and send the person a letter demanding they produce their car at the police station so they could do about 50 in a saturday i know i was made to produce mine they nearly all got canarys except mine but it cost me a fair bit of cash in the three days to get it rwc and quiet not sure if they still do it though.

They are a lot tougher on these matters in area's like Melton though as there are a much greater number of "hotted up" cars, in other words 'illegal' cars and 'hoon' cars. I got a bit of a questionable canary in Noble Park recently, same situation really,
But basically if they see fit to pull you over for whatever reason, large or small, they will. Best thing is to try and eliminate the attention or making sure you have the funds and resources to back yourself up quickly if need be, as stated in the end of the comment above.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
^ Agreed, if your stupid and run straight through pipes with no mufflers or anything, or have exhausts dumped at the diff or earlier, than you deserve anything you get. One muffler and maybe a resonator, and drive normally, then I don't think the cops care to much, unless you purposely piss them off.

LOL.....we run no mufflers on the Senator, straight through AND dumped one behind each wheel. Never get so much as a second glance from Police. It comes down to how you drive it, if you drive like an idiot, you get treated like one.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i got a single muffler on my VK, drones like a mofo and is pretty loud. been pulled over a bunch of times for random breath tests, but they never batted an eyelid at the car.

also, my mate who has "jap crap with a cannon" got a letter in the mail saying he needed to go do a noise test. it seems even if the cops dont pull you over, they can still dick you via royal mail.

but as mentioned, drive like a dick and im sure they will make life difficult.