Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cops caring about exhaust loudness?

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
I think it generally depends on what area you live in and many other factors.
At the end of the day you can never fully answer this question, it all depends on your driving patterns, the attitude of the copper and most importantly the attitude of yourself.
But to say ricers don't get EPA letters is untrue, my friend has a subara with a full STI system that is ridiculously loud, like the loudest car i have heard. He drove through a booze bus no worries, a week later got a letter demanding an inspection. They do bite you on the ass these coppers.
Oh well, he has the loud system back on it anyway.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If its that loud its not an STi exhaust system. they're almost as quiet as the Standard WRX exhaust.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
If its that loud its not an STi exhaust system. they're almost as quiet as the Standard WRX exhaust.
Maybe not then, its only a 98 RX sedan. It has extractors and the full works. Sounds like a full on rex but much louder.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
lol, they sound similar. Been there done that. Let me guess got a dirty big cannon on the back?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I've had a half system on the 5 litre in my ute for over a year, not 1 problem with the cops. Never even been pulled over in it.

I will say though, that a 5 litre with a single 2.5" half system that has a decent quality muffler is quieter than a 2.5" sports exhaust with no rear resinator and a straight through muffler, it also gives a much better note IMO.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for a V6 though, they only ever sound average at best no matter what system you put on it...They always sound there best when they are quiet-ish, they always sound **** when they're loud (and attract unwanted attention, obviously).

Last edited:

ConMan_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS HSV Enhanced 185i Sedan
ahh the V6 commy drone, gotta love it !! haha

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol, they sound similar. Been there done that. Let me guess got a dirty big cannon on the back?
naa naa not quite, he isn't into all the rice kind of stuff, in fact he is buying a dead stock vy ute this saturday.
it has two 3 inch tips. real clean subaru.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
well ive got extractors and a 2 1/2'' exhaust with 1 straight through muffler at the front none on the rear its loud and got a hell of a drone especially on the highway with 3.9 diff gears and ive been pulled over heaps and the only thing the cops have said to me is nice clean car never been hassled about my exhaust on the vk "my exhaust annoys me more than the cops", i think if i wasnt over 40y/o it might be a different story cops tend to be more leniant when your a bit older.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I remember the day when i had my exhaust fitted on the VP V6. As it is, straight pipes are cheaper than mufflers, so i went for a single 2.5 inch, with a centre magnaflow muffler, and straight piping all the way, with no rear resi either.

Driving out, i thought it sounded quite nice. It wasn't too loud, but it definately had a burble to it. Out of the driveway, and now in a 60 zone, i accelerated to the speed limit (i didn't floor it or anything just normal) and my first thoughts were holy **** this is loud !!

I expected that sooner or later i would be getting pulled over, but in the 18 months i had it, RBT's, police on the road, i never had any issues at all. I guess that's not saying that you wouldn't get pulled over, i may have just been one of the lucky ones.

But i wouldn't do it again after about 5 minutes it starts to irritate the **** out you !!!!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I remember the day when i had my exhaust fitted on the VP V6. As it is, straight pipes are cheaper than mufflers, so i went for a single 2.5 inch, with a centre magnaflow muffler, and straight piping all the way, with no rear resi either.

Driving out, i thought it sounded quite nice. It wasn't too loud, but it definately had a burble to it. Out of the driveway, and now in a 60 zone, i accelerated to the speed limit (i didn't floor it or anything just normal) and my first thoughts were holy **** this is loud !!

I expected that sooner or later i would be getting pulled over, but in the 18 months i had it, RBT's, police on the road, i never had any issues at all. I guess that's not saying that you wouldn't get pulled over, i may have just been one of the lucky ones.

But i wouldn't do it again after about 5 minutes it starts to irritate the **** out you !!!!

Agree, every time I drive my car I wonder how stupid I was as a 19 year old to think this exhaust was a good idea.