Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cops targeting P platers

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
So i heard some new info on the new laws coming in down in Vic, and though tid get it up here so we can chat about it...have heard that from june or july cops will be targeting more on p platers have recruited 700 extra cops in all types of cars (unmarked) just for this operation...if your car from the outside has ANYTHING that didnt come out with it from factory they will pull you over and go from there, this includes exhuasts, tints, body kits, lights, ANYTHING...Also I heard that if they think you have chipped or have internal mods in ur motor that you will have to front up with your car to a dyno inspection (run by the cops) and they will dyno your car to see the power coming out of it, so there goes saying its just a stock motor with an exhaust!!!...im still scepitcal about this as some people have said that some laws arent coming in some are...i know its been asked before but can anyone in a simple reply let Vic drivers know what is coming in and when??? and also what are people's views on this are people going to try and dodge the system or will people be reverting to stock cars...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
While I can understand where the police are coming from trying to restrict the type of car p platers can drive, I think they should invest more in education and training. There will always be idiots who think they know everything but the majority will be sensible I think. I read an article in todays paper (WA Sunday Times) that 304 people were given tickets for no seatbelts from Good Friday until the following Thursday. These laws have been in place for 36 years and the fine has increased here to $500 and 4 points, and people still break them. Like I said, idiots.
I don't know what the solution will be, maybe have aptitude tests before people can even get a learners permit. Assess peoples attitudes and understanding of basic common sense and if they display antisocial or lawless tendancies then have a special needs educational course or something. The harder it is to obtain a license the better the end result will be I think.
It isn't fair on the people who do behave themselves I know, and 20 years ago when I got my license it was relatively easy. There were also a lot less cars on the road too, and it was harder to get a car with a decent amount of power.
It's always a touchy feely approach to say education and training should be used rather than a heavy hand but history has proven the heavy hand doesn't work. It is more of a merit badge to be worn with honour rather than a deterrent to get caught these days. Send people to counseling, make them have a identifying plate on their car, shame them into doing the right thing, people of all ages not just p platers. Make it a stigma to have a bad driving record and maybe the roads will become safer. You don't see child molestors become child care workers, so it should be the same with drivers.

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
yes i agree...there are too many idiots that bring the rest down...there are over 30000 members on here and by the sounds of it everyone is well behaved...pitty 30000 doesnt make enough to have an impact on any laws they bring in...i can see that they want to stop the ities and stop idiots but is there another way around it....not so much get every hot car off the road but have more patrols out there only targeting the hoons??

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I get my full license next week so if it is true it won't effect me then :p Oh an I live in SA so it wouldn't effect me anyways :p

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
well over here in canberra there are alot and i mean ALOT of young people doing burnouts in there cars and because there arent really enough cops to take care of everyone, anyone off the street can now "dob in" the persons number plates and the cops will go around and have a chat to them, but if the same plates get caught something like 3 times for the same incident, the car gets impounded for 3 months and the person gets a massive fine along with a 3 month suspended license, then if their stupid enough to do it again the car gets sold at a police auction and again suspended license. i agree with transman, too many young idiots bring the rest of us down with them, but hey, free dyno??

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
It would be a free dyno until you find out that theyre selling your car on you...this will bring down the honest drivers that build theyre cars for shows and for private things like legal off street drags and car club private meets...then king d*** comes along and thinks he's the world and is the best driver just to prove he cant hadle his car and the only thing he's good for is getting rid of lives...ive had mates in car s with ities just because he didnt know how to drive but thought he did...people in my posistion look at situations like that and take it on board because you see the devastion it can cause...i will admit i dont mind seeing a drift or a burnout if its contolled....

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
this topic comes up often and unfortunately its just the way it has to be... think of the well behaved P platers as taking one for the team... cop the restrictions and with any luck it'll prevent a death or two.

Just be positive and patient... your turn will come to have the modified goodness :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
not so much get every hot car off the road but have more patrols out there only targeting the hoons??

The problem from the police perspective is that most of the cars involved are 'hot' so that would be the group targeted. It is always the minority that ****s it up.

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
and i wonder what theyre views on the industry is...how many young people go to workshops and buisnesses asking for custom, aftermarket and performance parts...that industy is massive no matter where you go...as soon as you cut the p platers out which in Vic is 18-21 thats a lot of people not being able to buy these parts and then the industy loses out as well...what and they gonna say when this happens?