Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corey's Edge Barracuda Buggy

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Haha just noticed that the day after my last post marked one year from beginning my Cuda :shock:

Anyways not much to update,

Couple weeks ago I started on a fuel tank. Cut it all out to plans, drew up a drawing in CAD and printed it to scale so I could use a punch to mark the hole centres for the EDGE fuel filler cap. As you can see it's not welded yet :lol:

Just the other day my parts showed up, the rear brake calliper and the fuel filler cap.

Test fitting the cap in the tank

All around the same time, I was wondering how to mount the fuel tank, and was trying to come up with a neat little piece for the back, which would also house a brake light... Came up with this in CAD, I was gonna make the writing "circular" but quickly decided that was too difficult, so straight lines it was which didn't turn out too bad in the end. The small one is for the nose/bonnet area.

They showed up today after a long wait.
Front, idea is this is welded on, and all smoothed out welds, then the 2mm Aluminium bonnet will but up to it flush...

Rear. The hole is for a truck led brake light. Narva Model 45. The bolts will be replaced with caps crews which will look better.

With the fuel tank in place.

And lastly started to make a proper dash... photo doesn't really show much but once it's properly in place I'll explain it a bit more.

Today was my 2nd day of Yr12 (technically 7th), so this might slow down a bit this year, but I'm hoping I'll still have time to work on this throughout the year...

Cheers :)

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Well not much been happening,

Welded on the tags for the rear panel and fuel tank, disassembled the rear cartridge as I'm wanting to get the sprocket and disc zinc coated. Then I can assemble the rear cartridge properly (lock tight and torque them...).

Rear Cartridge disassembled;

I have made up these "brackets" which will be welded to the tank in due time.

These line up with the tags on the chassis. This photo shows the bolt going through rear panel, and tag, then into the bracket which will be welded to the fuel tank.

Just a picture of how she's sitting at the moment :p

I've done a bit more on the dash but needing someones help to hold it so I can see where it sits etc etc (no photo).

Thanks

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Well still not much happening, don't really have much interest in this anymore; it's just kinda there.

Today my brake light showed up, really happy with how the rear panel has turned, just need to get the button head bolts for it...

Also happy it all sits snug, not protruding from rear down tubes.

Today I also cut out the bonnet and roof out of 2mm Ali

Still deciding if I want to use the "Cuda" logo I designed on the front, it's a bit big, but it would match the rear if I keep it that size.... Also thought about just using it as a template to spray paint it on... haha

The other day I also painted the central drive hub, and the adjuster plates in black primer. Need to redo plates as they ran a bit *sigh* The hub turned out ok.

I've scored some spot lights off one of the blokes from work, will get them tomorrow night and test fit, hopefully they aren't too big...

Cheers
-Corey

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Got the two spotlights today, they are 225mm ones so they are in fact a bit too big... :bang: I started to make a mock up bracket out of 25x25 angle iron, with two 10mm holes drilled 225mm apart. I'll notch the ends so it will fit between the roll bar, and tack it into position so I can get a proper look.

Dad suggested swapping the with the ones on his ute, but these probably won't fit on the bullbar, and the ones he has are too small :doh:

This is the look I was trying to go for. From what I can work out, those lights are about 150mm in diameter.

I probably won't do much to it on the weekend so might update again next week sometime.

Cheers

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Id definetly go the bigger spotties mate, i reckon the look will be much better.
Im ashamed to say that your cuda build is progressing a hell of a lot quicker than mine! Haha, your doing a very good job mate, I think I first spotted the build on edgeforums but its a bit dead over there so i dont visit it very often.

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Id definetly go the bigger spotties mate, i reckon the look will be much better.
As in the big 225 ones I got? I'm still unsure what to do, I do prefer the look of the one I pictured with the ~150mm lights, but I originally wanted 2 slim 7" LED light bars, one for the roof and one on the bonnet... So I'll get them properly mocked up this arvo then go from there :p

Im ashamed to say that your cuda build is progressing a hell of a lot quicker than mine! Haha, your doing a very good job mate, I think I first spotted the build on edgeforums but its a bit dead over there so i dont visit it very often.
Hahah I'm going along pretty slow so not sure about that one :p How far along are you with it? :)
Yeah unfortunately the Edge Forums are not used much anymore, I check it every day just in the hope someone has started a new build thread or something haha.

Cheers

EDIT: I see you have a GSXR 1000........ that would be nice in your Cuda ;)

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Yeah the 225s. seeing as they're free i'd definitely go with them. plus if your looking for actual light output the bigger the reflector(housing size basically) the more actual light they put out.
Your not slow mate your cracking along nicely. I've been "building" mine since 2010 and so far all ive got is a pile of steel and a bigger pile of parts. Your thread here has actual prompted me to get everything out of the storage shed so i can actually get cracking on it once Ive got the camaro wheeled out of that side of the shed.

haha the gixxer motor would be fun but ive got a turbo cbr 600 motor sitting there for the buggy, it will get it cracking along nicely. But when i build the next barracuda (lol) ill splash out on a 1st gen gixxer1300 (busa) methinks. Keep up the good work and the awesome progress im enjoying watching a young fella make such a good crack on fabrication.

did you mock up the lights ? how do they look?

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Cheers mate :p I'm glad my thread has motivated you to get going on yours. A turbo CBR 600 sounds nice bud! Will be awesome when its up and running! Any reason why Gen1 Busa over 2nd Gen? :p

Yeah mocked up the lights after work tonight...

Still unsure, dad's decided he would like them for his ute now, and they would fit so might swap with him.
But in saying that, one of the other blokes has said he's got a few misc lights that I could have, so, I might see what he's got and then decide. I think I want 150 ones (turns out dad's are that size) beucase I think they will just look a bit better, and I don't believe I'll need the extra light from the 225's as I probably won't do much night driving anyways...

But nothing has to be decided immediately, not like I can drive yet anyways lol :p Still considering original idea of 2 slim 7" light bars...

Cheers