Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corey's Edge Barracuda Buggy

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Cheers mate :p I'm glad my thread has motivated you to get going on yours. A turbo CBR 600 sounds nice bud! Will be awesome when its up and running! Any reason why Gen1 Busa over 2nd Gen? :p
Purely because 1st Gen are cheaper lol, and power wise there isn't much in it.

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Not much of an update, have been doing stuff all to it recently.

Tonight I did "finish" off my steering wheel though.

I first corrected the dish as it was uneven and starting to piss me off... It has about 75mm dish now, and a diameter of 13" which is perfect.

I was still deciding how to cap the ends off, but I ended up finding some old coach bolts, so I cleaned them up with the wire wheel on the pedestal grinder, ground the letters off, and then chopped the shank of the bolt off.

I then used an extendable magnetic tool to hold the bolt head in place while I tacked it on. (Not pictured)

Then welded all around, and used the flap disc on the grinder to [try] make it all smooth and nice. iPhone turned into potato for this photo, and I did grind it a bit more after which made it a bit nicer.

Replaced on buggy, will look even better once painted and hopefully you won't be able to tell it was welded together!

I need to get the damn dash sorted out so I can steer it properly, and roll it outside to take some nice pictures...

Cheers

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Continued on with my dash bar today in the 42 degree heat.

Already had these pieces bent and notched, but weren't cut to the right length. I made this in two pieces so I wouldn't have to stuff around and get the two bends correct on one piece.
I cut them to [what I hoped to be] the right length, and quickly found that this was/is going to be bitch.

So I cut a bit of 5/8 shaft about 30mm long, and used it as a guide/slip joint kind of thing. This way I could hold the two pieces together as one (without tacking it) and get an idea to see if I needed it wider or skinnier.
Clamped it down to the bench and tacked it together. (The blue bit of RHS was also holding it down flat)

So this is what it will look like basically. The bit of flat bolted to the bush will be welded to dash bar (obviously...) then I plan to use some 1.6 or 2mm Ali for the face. It will [somehow] be rolled on the edges to follow the contour of the pipe.

And lastly just a happy snap from Snapchat haha

Cheers

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Yippidy doo we have an update.

The 4 button head bolts appeared the other day, don't know why they weren't here a month ago.... I also took the plastic **** off the ali.... that shine!

This was the problem with the dash bar... yes bad I know.

One thing I have done throughout the build was keep all the little off cuts... don't know why I just did... and today I was lucky I had! Found the off cut, and used that to fill the gap. Not something I want to do, BUT, it will be alright once all welded and finished. Obviously if this were a major component I would have remade it properly, which might still happen anyways.

Tacked the column bush bracket on, now the it can be easily steered again.

Hasn't seen the sunlight since early December last year, so I can push it outside now and take some new half decent pics.

That's it for now.

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Well it got some sunlight today....

Only other thing I did was attach the bonnet temporarily. Two tek screws'l do the job haha. Was gonna do the roof too but had no time.

Got a bit of motivation back just from looking at it out in the light, love looking at it from the back...

Dat ass

Snapchat for dayz hahahah

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Well it's still here....

Progress report = pre much 0.

After the last photos were taken, the front left tyre decided it didn't want to do its job anymore... its currently sitting beside the buggy, with the buggy on the front stand.

Attempted to start making a dash face... cut out some gal sheet to test with... half made up a jig thingo but have decided to try and use the roller. Pending job.

Then tonight I tacked the fuel tank together. Sheet metal is a bitch if it isn't 1000% perfect shape/size etc, ended up with okay gaps all round ... after getting dad to stand on top of it as I tacked it.

Will focus on getting it welded up shortly, but need to get the f***ing fuel cap to sit in place properly, and need a BSP fitting for the outlet.

Was gonna start on the firewall, but I didn't.

No pictures sorry, that is all. :)

EDIT: Also I forgot to mentions, wear a freakin glove when using a welder! :axe:

Last edited:

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!