Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct compressor type in VB query?

NutsandBolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB/SL
Hi All,
I have recently got a 79VB SL with a 253. The compressor was missing and I have since come across a Harrison compressor (with lump on the side of the compressor body) that looks like it should bolt in. In this the correct type for this model or should it be a Delco, or does it not matter?
Cheers James

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
a big bad black Harrison compressor was fitted to all VBs

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Ah great thank you Smitty for this confirmation!
yep 2nd what smitty said, its that big heavy lump of old harrison comp used up to 81 in VB/VC cars, late built model VC 's got the different comp used in the VH

NutsandBolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB/SL
Thanks for that further information Vin999. Yes it is certainly a very heavy unit. Hopefully it works OK?!

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Thanks for that further information Vin999. Yes it is certainly a very heavy unit. Hopefully it works OK?!

just wait until its in and working
and then await the first hill....
the big bad Harrison compressor sucks
maybe 40% of your engine power

when its cuts in forward progress slows.
but
in its defence, it is one of the best for dealing
with the australian summer. Shrinks ya balls ....

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yes they are a heavy compressor,
But very smooth, as the after market York Compressors were a real clunker,
and vibrated through the whole car,
Good work for getting a Harrison unit, as they were only ones to work correctly and the brackets were always accurate.

I had a 1977 LX 4.2 SL Torana [Sedan] [Wish I still had it], and put in after market Under Dash Air Conditioning,
and was supplied a York Compressor, that only lasted 6 months, and threw it to s___house,
I went to the Wreckers and bought a Harrison compressor and brackets, and worked like a charm.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Throw that relic of the past out. You can fit a Sanden SD7 one of the auto elecs at work (I'm a mechanic) fitted a SD7 to his HZ and it works great he's using a limo box inside and it's like a butchers cool room in there.

The old style "I think theyre twin piston" compressors don't work very well with R154a as they were made for R12 which is a much.more efficient refrigerant.

Also the Sanden SD7 being a 7 piston desgin is much more efficient and was used right up to I think the latest I saw was on a 2007 car. It is designed for R154a so it's really what you want.
Yes you will need a auto elec to custom make the hoses for instalation but mounting to the engine from memory it uses the same mounting holes and comes with different pully options. You can also find on some carbs the idle up for the A/C this will need to be used.