Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct dip stick ?

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Yet another abnormality.
I'm not sure if my v6 series 2 ecotech dip stick is correct for my engine? Or as likely the workshop Manuel is wrong.? 4Lt of oil to refill (inc filter) when doing an oil change. Correct ?.
So why does my dipstick register as being about 3/4Lt low? The length of the dipstick blade is 650mm the full mark is 75mm from the bottom but after draining replacing the oil filter and putting in 4Lt of oil and letting it settle to the sump oil level is only approximately 60mm up the stick? Part number on dipstick is 92063934. So three questions 1. Is the manual wrong? 2.is the dipstick wrong ? And 3. How far up the stick should the oil be?
Cheers Richrever.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My VR Buick takes nearly 4.5L of oil including the filter.

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Your on fire Ricky. Welldone on finding and bringing that old thread to all of our attention. Judging by the pic my dipstick should be the bottom one and I have the middle. However that is only if the manuals are correct?
With only 4lt in it it dosent have any tappet /lifter noise. But for how long?obviously by you guys replies an extra half ltr won't do no harm but my stick is asking for 3/4-1lt. To much oil can cause excessive crank pressure ect ect... before I opened rickys link I took some pics of a couple of manuals I have . Maybe I can't blame the books after all which dipstick did they get there info from?
Shake and.bake Ricky Bobby. I'll go another .5 I think.
Cheers Richrever.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Just to clarify on this thread,

During VS production, Series 1 engines came with a dipstick that showed a lower high mark, but as customers cars were coming in with oil consumption problems, eg. getting low on oil prior to the next service, so Holden decided to simply raise the high mark even higher thus creating a wider range between high and low marks so as to avoid customers anxiety lifting due to low oil. The Ecotecs are renown for slightly higher oil consumption right from the beginning.

If I'm correct some Holden Dealerships were actually supplying replacement upgraded dipsticks to complaining customers to merely shut them up.

All the aftermarket Workshop manuals were written and published for Series 1 and "not" revamped after Series 2 vehicles were released. I shall edit this post shortly with the revised Part Number for the Series 2 dipstick which can be used in the Series 1 engine without any issues whatsoever.

Just again to clarify that other thread that has links here to it, the later engines had a modified sump thus another dipstick was invented just to confuse matters at tad more, but remembering Holden never expected to have people comparing dipsticks over the years, just solve a problem as it occurred.

Last edited:

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Just to clarify on this thread,

During VS production, Series 1 engines came with a dipstick that showed a lower high mark, but as customers cars were coming in with oil consumption problems, eg. getting low on oil prior to the next service, so Holden decided to simply raise the high mark even higher thus creating a wider range between high and low marks so as to avoid customers anxiety lifting due to low oil. The Ecotecs are renown for slightly higher oil consumption right from the beginning.

If I'm correct some Holden Dealerships were actually supplying replacement upgraded dipsticks to complaining customers to merely shut them up.

All the aftermarket Workshop manuals were written and published for Series 1 and "not" revamped after Series 2 vehicles were released. I shall edit this post shortly with the revised Part Number for the Series 2 dipstick which can be used in the Series 1 engine without any issues whatsoever.

Just again to clarify that other thread that has links here to it, the later engines had a modified sump thus another dipstick was invented just to confuse matters at tad more, but remembering Holden never expected to have people comparing dipsticks over the years, just solve a problem as it occurred.
Thank you Vslover. You know your stuff and deliver it so well. Ontop off that you validated everyones comments.
Ellorys Haynes and(to a smaller margin)Gregorys could do with a guy like you on their books.

Richrever01

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Thank you Vslover. You know your stuff and deliver it so well. Ontop off that you validated everyones comments.
Ellorys Haynes and(to a smaller margin)Gregorys could do with a guy like you on their books.

Awww Shucks ! I'm blushing now.:)