Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

correct fuel pressure regulator for VS 3800 L36?

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
There seem to be 3 similar items:
FPR-014 3.0 bar
FPR-160 3.0 bar
FPR-161 3.3 bar
However, looking at fleabay listings, the "compatible vehicles" seem to vary wildly from one vendor to another.

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
I looked around and the cheapest was $104 including postage. They told me that Bosch FPR9070 was correct for VS normally aspirated engine.
But it doesn't fit! The part that pushes into the fuel rail is about 0.5 mm diameter too big (compared to the old one).
It arrived in a beaten up cardboard box. The 9-digit number on the regulator matches another sticker on the bottom of the box, so it wasn't something wrongly packaged.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The VS ecotec comes standard with a 3.0 bar/43.5psi fpr except for some of the later engines which had 3.5 bar like the VT's (just to confuse things). I haven't seen any info on this change but can definitely confirm it is accurate as our old 97 VS ecotec had a 3.5bar reg fitted. No idea on part number though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is a long thread about VS regs and them not fitting. I will try and find it. I think in the end the bloke couldn't buy one that would fit and ended up getting a used one IIRC.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah can't find the thread. From what i remember he had a lot of trouble getting one, and eBay didn't have the one he needed, and none of the major parts shops had one either.

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
The VS ecotec comes standard with a 3.0 bar/43.5psi fpr except for some of the later engines which had 3.5 bar like the VT's (just to confuse things). I haven't seen any info on this change but can definitely confirm it is accurate as our old 97 VS ecotec had a 3.5bar reg fitted. No idea on part number though.
My old one is marked 3.5 bar. A relative has an older VS (1996 build) and that is 3 bar. My The VT-VY regulators look quite different, so they are not suitable either.
Anyway, I searched the 280160529 part number and found another vendor listing the compatible engines as the 5 litre boat anchor and VN-VR V6, but not VS V6. Looks like that is the odd one out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyway, I searched the 280160529 part number and found another vendor listing the compatible engines as the 5 litre boat anchor and VN-VR V6, but not VS V6. Looks like that is the odd one out.
Yes and this was the issue another member had. He was even sent one that wasn't correct. VS V6 is the odd one out. For some reason VR V6 are still quite readily available. What i remember IIRC also is that the OP in the other thread was looking at possibly fitting a VT rail, because of how scarce the VS V6 ones are.

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Yes and this was the issue another member had. He was even sent one that wasn't correct. VS V6 is the odd one out. For some reason VR V6 are still quite readily available. What i remember IIRC also is that the OP in the other thread was looking at possibly fitting a VT rail, because of how scarce the VS V6 ones are.
Or maybe you could ream out the fuel rail to take the VN-VR regulator (if you have a 95/96 VS with 3 bar).
Anyway, I spotted on Autobarn website: Bosch 028016552 regulator, but when I went to a store, they said none in stock, and have no idea how long you would have to wait for an order. These things also appear on UK and Italian websites, so perhaps they were used in some obscure European car, which didn't sell well, so there aren't many on shelves.
The VN-VR regulators are still freely available - presumably tons of Buick/Chevs had them, so they are stll being made.
Then looked up Fuelmiser catalogue. They list their FPR-161 as being the one for V6 VS 95-97. But the price! Anywhere from $200-$300 from various vendors.
The Fuelmiser regulator for V8 petrol Landcruiser looks very similar, but they are only around $60....