Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct Fuel

Darrylmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V LY7 V6
Just wanting to know the correct fuel to use for VS Commodore Ecotec....my mechanic told me to use 95 or 98 and not to use 91 as it will ruine the engine.

I have researched everywhere and there is all mixed answers, can anyone tell me the right one to use, or should I run a tank of 95 every two or three fills.

Cheers

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Lol, any of them, your 'mechanic' is trippin balls. Personally I wouldn't bother with 98 on a stock tune as the detonation it's designed to prevent is not going to be an issue.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
In my opinion 91 is fine unless you have it tuned.
It was designed to run 91 from factory, so unless it's been changed, she'll be right.

Even with a tune though, tuned to run say 98 Octane , you can still run 91 octane, you just can't drive hard, usually to get out of an emergency, like you are in the middle of nowhere and they only sell 91.

(if you can hear pinging then you probably need a higher octane fuel)

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I always ran my VS and VY on 91, as I do my VE. Just a tank full of premium a couple of times a year to help clean things out.

Why ever would a mechanic tell you not to run 91? You should take the books to him that of course come with the car, for him to study as I guess you have done.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Certainly doesn't hurt to run 95 or 98 fuel full time.. Personal preference of mine to do so although my car has been tuned for it but even if it wasn't I still would anyway

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Ive seen some reports on this lately...basically your car designed to run on 91. There are a few myths on running high octane fuel most are just that, you should see a slight increase in k's per tank but the extra cost kills any benefit...That said I run bp ultimate(98) in my car, only because I believe it to be a better product and dont mind paying the extra $$$...wasted money maybe but she is my baby and deserve's the best :)

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Man get a new mechanic! Only tuned and specifically high performance engines need higher octane fuel, nor does it have any real benefit to the car otherwise.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
To be honest, I run 91. I don't see any benefits with higher octane even with the MACE memcal I have. Ive ran complete full tanks with 98 and still feels the same..
I just use higher octane occasionally to help clean..

Vsfan95

Vsfan95
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 2 Acclaim
Last time I put E10 in my VT V6 it almost destroyed the car, Put in 95 or 98 it went through 30 litres within a day and I was driving like a grandma. Put in the factory 91 it runs fine. 95, E85 and 98 fuels are more designed for Forced induction or high horsepower vehicles. My opinion stay with the factory 91 recommendation as its tuned for it. Mechanics will say anything to you to spend more money on fuel that won't have any effect on your engine or your mileage

Darrylmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V LY7 V6
Thanks guys that is what I thought....not sure why he said to run 95....I might run a tank of it every couple of months....I guess the only benefit as you say would be to clean thinks out.