Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corvette/Camaro/Chevy wheels on commodore?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Chevy 5x120.65 vs Holden 5x120 that's only .65 of a mm... His point was there would be that much clearance on a Holden wheel at the center hub anyway, if there was not any clearance you would never get any wheel on or off. I realize wheels are high-speed dangerous things, but there is a beautiful set of corvette wheels I an temped to buy. they do make and sell "wobble nuts" just for that reason...just sayin.

You could try it and let us know, but I would agree with @EYY.
The slightly different PCD would put an angular load on the studs, which are designed for a perpendicular tension load, and a horizontal shear load.
The close fitting spigot on the hub to locate the wheel hub centre bore is designed for the mass load of the car, and the studs are designed for the torque load of the wheels.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not having them locate properly on the wheel studs is enough to say, don't fit them.

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SS Thunder Ute 6ltr V8 manual
I'm not expert, and I am still trying to understand this...The wheel maker told me that the correct wheel for the correct car still has clearance which makes sense otherwise it would not fit on and off unless the center was tapered? Seems like with wobble nuts correcting for the location on the studs the centers (if the same size center bore?) would sit where they are supposed to sit thus correcting the .65mm difference

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tapered wobble nuts locate them correctly, so I am told

You still have the wheel stud slightly bent....so it doesn't matter what style of wheel nut is fitted, the stud is still slightly bent, which will lead to failure....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm not expert, and I am still trying to understand this...The wheel maker told me that the correct wheel for the correct car still has clearance which makes sense otherwise it would not fit on and off unless the center was tapered? Seems like with wobble nuts correcting for the location on the studs the centers (if the same size center bore?) would sit where they are supposed to sit thus correcting the .65mm difference

The centre bore is another area.....Me personally, it doesn't matter about the centre bore size being larger that the hub. For decades, cars have had wheels, both from factory fitament to the vehicle and after market wheels, that the centre bore of the rim is larger than hub of the vehicle....this still continues to this very day....And those vehicles don't sit on the side of the road with busted wheel studs as a result of this.....

A wheel stud on the other hand, needs to be straight.....You start having them on a slight angle, it puts stress on the stud, which will then lead to failure....It maynot be straight away, but guaranteed over time it will fail....

So it doesn't matter if you use normal wheel nuts, or wobble nuts, the stud will be on an angle and it will fail

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
WTF is a wobble nut?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Chevy 5x120.65 vs Holden 5x120 that's only .65 of a mm...

It's the same PCD as a Kingswood, and the Commodore wheel on Kingswood thing has already been well discussed as a bad idea. I'd run conversion spacers instead of bolting them directly on. High possibility that you'll also run into offset issues.

Does the manufacturer do the wheel in a different/custom PCD?

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Seen it on VEs/Pontiac G8 the Camaro 20in and Cadillac CTSV Rims. Heard that is a straight fit on the VE. However, the OEM Rotors and Calipers looks way too small (in my opinion) compared to the rim size. Makes the car look goofy, also, the ride is harsher if you drive on crappy roads.