Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corvette servo, is it worth it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wanting to know what the advantages are of fitting a Vette servo? I'm having a new boost valve fitted in just under two weeks time along with a heavy duty valve body spring. Since it looks like the Y pipe needs to come off to access servo, I'm not sure whether its worth paying 1.5hrs labour for from what I understand is only a minor upgrade. Bang for buck i am being told is not worth the cost.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Don't know VR/VS but can you maybe tweak the shift a bit in the tune ?

I think later models can.

Won't get the same amount of change tho. Depends what you want.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't think the VR is electronically controlled enough to do anything through the ECU. I did some reading and there are conflicting reports on JC threads. Some say that it adds pressure to the clutches causing slip and heat. Yet other threads and posts say it helps reduce heat from reduced slip, because of harder lock in gear changes??

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
It was hard to notice much difference.

Still worth doing though.

Apparently billet servos are fully noticeable but i'm going manual and can't be bothered trying one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I read about billet ones in the threads. From what I understand, you can have problems with too much lock up. That is basically a Vette servo is about as strong as you go. If you have a worked v8 then you look at something heavier, than a Vette one. What manual trans are you fitting? Not a Getrag?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
No way. t5 for price and ease. t56 when I win lotto.

I really miss having complete control over clutch and box.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Corvette servo is great. Provides a nice positive shift into second (both upshift and downshift). Big difference that you’ll notice straight away.

At light throttle you won’t notice it - but when overtaking etc you will. After installing the corvette servo mine would chirp into second in the dry at WOT. Was never harsh at any other throttle opening.

Vr trans is electronic like later models. There’s only so much a tune can do. The hardware needs to be able to cope with tuning changes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok it does sound like the go. I will have another chat to the tech and get an idea on cost for supply and fit. Might go somewhere else if he is too exi. Something I can look at down the track. Quicker engagement when overtaking will definitely be a big help.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Ok it does sound like the go. I will have another chat to the tech and get an idea on cost for supply and fit. Might go somewhere else if he is too exi. Something I can look at down the track. Quicker engagement when overtaking will definitely be a big help.
Yeah. You want it to go when you need it, not have to wait around for a wind up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah. You want it to go when you need it, not have to wait around for a wind up.

Yeah it does currently have that delay. Like to fit it myself as I don't really want to pay for someone to remove the Y pipe to access the servo but don't know whether it will go in easy or give me grief. I'd like to see if the mech up the road will fit it as he would do a cash job but he is funny about auto trans work. Where as my trans bloke he won't do cash.