Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cost of ute respray?

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
just wondering what the cost of getting a vs ute resprayed dark blue around the melbourne area would be . . . i would want a fairly decent job including door jambs and engine bay but not the ute tray

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I'm assuming this price should also include prep work? what condition is the car in? E.G small dents or creases? any rust at all? are the bars in good condition?

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Be easier dropping the eng/trans out for a good eng bay job. Expect just over a grand for the eng bay.

I'd say about $5000-$6000

james_lives_here

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Anywhere from 3k+ depening on what type of job u want done.

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
uh sorry the body is in close to perfect condition,
Shyt gettin the bay done is pretty expensive, be easier just to do the bay yourself so it dosent look a Chaddy different color than the rst of the car..

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh see how much it will cost if you sand it back yourself, takes a while and a far bit off wet and dry but may save a tiny bit, we did a mates car b4 his dad sprayed it, took a few weekends sanding it back by hand

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
uh sorry the body is in close to perfect condition,
Shyt gettin the bay done is pretty expensive, be easier just to do the bay yourself so it dosent look a Chaddy different color than the rst of the car..

Yeah eng bays only usually get done if the colour is being changed, otherwise it looks really odd when you open the bonnet.

yeh see how much it will cost if you sand it back yourself, takes a while and a far bit off wet and dry but may save a tiny bit, we did a mates car b4 his dad sprayed it, took a few weekends sanding it back by hand

Doing the prep yourself is the way to go, spray shops hate prep, the amount of hours they have to spend preping takes a huge chunk out of the total hours quoted. If you came with an unmasked car thats been filled, primed then sanded back, dont expect to pay more then $3300 MAX

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
Yeah eng bays only usually get done if the colour is being changed, otherwise it looks really odd when you open the bonnet.

Doing the prep yourself is the way to go, spray shops hate prep, the amount of hours they have to spend preping takes a huge chunk out of the total hours quoted. If you came with an unmasked car thats been filled, primed then sanded back, dont expect to pay more then $3300 MAX

but also you will find alot of places wont touch a car that has already been primed, they dont like to come in half way through a job. or if the do they wont give warrenty to ya, well thats the case with most places

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
but also you will find alot of places wont touch a car that has already been primed, they dont like to come in half way through a job. or if the do they wont give warrenty to ya, well thats the case with most places

Yep. A good paint job comes down to the prep work, so the shop will want to do it to their standards.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
It comes down to the painter. He should know by walking around if the prep is upto scratch. If its not then yeah he wont touch it, but at the end of the day its your own car. If you want to do dodgy prep then yeah it might save you some time but it will bite you in the arse when the paint starts falling off. I tell ya what the painters that tafes have been pushing out of late havent been anything to write home about, not saying theres none but it looks like a case of the blind leading the blind. Some of the paint jobs i've seen are just shocking, but the owner is happy so i guess thats all that counts.

Doing you own prep means you know exactly whats been done to it. I repainted my front bar on my VY cus of stone chips. I had to take it right back to fibreglass because the **** head who primed it didnt do ANY prep before they painted it. You may give it to a shop and get them to do the prep but you wont know exactly how much prep has gone on. Respectable and well known shops wont do this, but they will hit you in the wallet becuase they do it properly.