Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to install new shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well maybe you quote as a pair, last year I was quoted 50 a side to do my back shocks, and they quote in 30min blokes not in hours unless you love ripping off your customer's, No sht they change them in pairs, like I said 30min on each one as you need to remove the strut from the spring, it was a rough time how long it would take, as I don't have all the fancy tools, And no you don't need a wheel alignment but wouldn't hurt. If they have springs fitted 15-20min a side. If your changing strut bearing then have your alignment done.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Do they?

Shocks are done in pairs and are quoted per hour with labour with the replacement per pair, not each. How many places sell just 1 shock absorber? How many places fit 1 shock absorber? Like usual, you have no idea and post for the sake of posting...

Wheel alignment is a must and is quoted accordingly.

For what it is worth, it should take about 2 hours, with an alignment to replace all 4

Ditto - this is how I've always been quoted for shocks or 2 hours to lower a vehicles with just a spring change and in many cases I sit back and read the paper for a couple of hours while it's being done.

Plus I always have a wheel alignment done, I don't know why people say this isn't necessary and even if it it's not, I'd still have one at every opportunity as it's a good check to ensure everything is hunky dory.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Well maybe you quote as a pair, last year I was quoted 50 a side to do my back shocks, and they quote in 30min blokes not in hours unless you love ripping off your customer's, No sht they change them in pairs, like I said 30min on each one as you need to remove the strut from the spring, it was a rough time how long it would take, as I don't have all the fancy tools, And no you don't need a wheel alignment but wouldn't hurt. If they have springs fitted 15-20min a side. If your changing strut bearing then have your alignment done.

You do need the alignment checked! You need to disconnect the steering knuckle from the strut to change them, oversize holes in the knuckles and struts allow alignment adjustment.
You cant ensure that original struts go back in exactly the same position, and if installing new struts, you must allow for production tolerances.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You need to disconnect the steering knuckle from the strut to change them

Not with ve or vf 4bolts and its out. The holes are a neat fit, no wheel alignment needed unless your changing strut bearing. All you need to do is push on the hub and make sure the camber adjustment is against the strut before tighten the 2 bolts.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not with ve or vf 4bolts and its out. The holes are a neat fit, no wheel alignment needed unless your changing strut bearing. All you need to do is push on the hub and make sure the camber adjustment is against the strut before tighten the 2 bolts.

Again, saying stuff you know nothing about....

What happens is, the car sags a little, with age of shocks and springs....When you put new shocks and/or springs in, you lift the car up....Lifting the car up, means the camber and toe settings are altered, so not having an alignment done, means you run the risk of premature tyre wear.

An alignment is performed as the car sits....So prior to springs and/or shocks being replaced, the camber and toe are set with a slight sag....Now you have lifted it, that sag is gone, so you have to set the camber and toe according to how the car now sits.

The bearing plates on these aren't offset, unlike the earlier VB through to VP....When it came to these models, it was best to mark the positioning of one bolt hole, with chalk, so when it went back together, you got the camber and caster settings as they were, prior to removal.....Saved a little work dropping the strut down and doing what was known as a strut turn., on the front struts

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

What person doesn't quote to replace a pair of shocks....Common sense, which you seem to lack, says, you replace a pair, therefore the time to replace the pair is quoted up in the price.....So it's not ripping people off....It's using common sense

P.S., post up the name of this business, so we know who to avoid, due to shonkiness

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What person doesn't quote to replace a pair of shocks....Common sense, which you seem to lack, says, you replace a pair, therefore the time to replace the pair is quoted up in the price.....So it's not ripping people off....It's using common sense

P.S., post up the name of this business, so we know who to avoid, due to shonkiness
Lol, what cant you add 50x2? If he said 100 a pair would it matter? Its better than saying 1 hour which is around 150 for mechanics these days which is 25 for every 10min. If you told me it will take 1 hour and you took 40min would you charge me the hour quoted? That's 50 your ripping me off, I want the price of the job not how many hours it may take.. And you don't need to do a wheel alignment even Holden has said this, the replacement strut are the same OEM nothing changers as long as you lift and push the hub so its against the camber adjustment before tighten up the 2 bottom bolts, you need to get out of old school and get with the new age.. :D:D Peace.. Oh I did say it wouldn't hurt but not really needed ask Holden..

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Lol, what cant you add 50x2? If he said 100 a pair would it matter? Its better than saying 1 hour which is around 150 for mechanics these days which is 25 for every 10min. If you told me it will take 1 hour and you took 40min would you charge me the hour quoted? That's 50 your ripping me off, I want the price of the job not how many hours it may take.. And you don't need to do a wheel alignment even Holden has said this, the replacement strut are the same OEM nothing changers as long as you lift and push the hub so its against the camber adjustment before tighten up the 2 bottom bolts, you need to get out of old school and get with the new age.. :D:D Peace.. Oh I did say it wouldn't hurt but not really needed ask Holden..

Stop dribbling crap Trevor...

You quote the job according to time and parts supplied. You don't quote saying it'll take 30 minutes too replace 1 shock, when you have to replace a pair. It's called making it simple for the average person off the street

Ask Holden what? You forget I do suspensions for a living and I know how things work with suspensions.....Dealerships don't give a stuff if you stuff a pair of tyres prematurely....

The problem is, I am set in my old ways, where I actually give a rats about the customer and their hip pocket....These new age people don't care about your hip pocket, except when it comes to lightening it.
Now go and do some research on how sagging springs and/or shocks effect camber and toe and compare that with brand new springs and/or shocks effect it.....Then comment, because at this stage, you're blowing hot air out.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When you put new shocks
Shocks don't lift the car up springs take the weight, shocks keep the wheels to the ground and smoothing's the ride they not weight lifters.
His only doing shocks not springs, no change. Hence the reason Holden says its not needed. But I say again it wont hurt especially if you have near new tyres and haven't done it for awhile, which his doing anyway, peace.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Shocks don't lift the car up springs take the weight, shocks keep the wheels to the ground and smoothing's the ride they not weight lifters.
His only doing shocks not springs, no change. Hence the reason Holden says its not needed. But I say again it wont hurt especially if you have near new tyres and haven't done it for awhile, which his doing anyway, peace.

Blowing hot air again Trevor....Do some research before you reply, because you have no idea and it shows....ie, you forget what's involved in replacing shocks on this era car

Status
Not open for further replies.