Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to replace auto trasmission? (V6 VXII)

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Hi everyone,

My car's just ticked over 300,000km's and although the engine is still strong (and is sitting on around 9.8L/100km for my daily driving), the transmission has been thumping a bit - probably for around 70,000km's or so! But I can feel it getting worse (particularly while the fluid is cold).

It's due for a tranmission service, which will cost around $100 if I get it done at my local mechanics... but I'm wondering if it's better value to get a lower km's transmission and have it swapped out. I know the transmission is going to blow sooner or later (the change between 1st and 2nd gives a metallic thump, and it's starting to get a bit more thumpish on the 2nd -> 3rd).

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
do the service first and then see how it goes if it doesnt improve either take it to a tranny specilist or buy a second hand gear box should be roughly $500 from a wrecker and a few hundred for labour

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You could always spend a bit more and fit a manual .

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
You could always spend a bit more and fit a manual .

Not everyone prefers manual, hell for a lot of driving it's just a pain in the arse.

On topic replacements transmissions seem to be well over a grand. Transdoctor do a replacement and upgrade for I think $1700 which seems pretty good.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
a thump?

does the thump come from the transmission or the diff?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you go for a reco, it's going to be around $2k fitted. I guess it comes down to what you're willing to invest in such a vehicle.

Personally I'd look around for a low km second hand jobbie out of a wreck (with a few months warranty just in case), it's especially good that you've got VS-VY (v6 NA) to choose from. That'd drop it to about $1k fitted.

Otherwise add another $2k to the reco and you could just grab another lower km VXII.

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I'm pretty sure my diff is causing a thump as well. Does the diff often thump during gear changes too? I planned to change the oil in my diff very soon (bought the oil for it the other day). It's never been changed.

Personally I'd look around for a low km second hand jobbie out of a wreck (with a few months warranty just in case), it's especially good that you've got VS-VY (v6 NA) to choose from. That'd drop it to about $1k fitted.

Oops I should have said - I'd be looking for a 2nd hand low km's jobbie, there are a crapload of them on Ebay.

I saw one listing with a <150,000km's trasnmission for about $150, and they charge $350 labour to fit it (including new oil and new filter etc). So about $500 all up with 6 months warranty.

I'm hoping to find the most decent low km's one I can find, and pay my mechanic labour to fit it... but I really don't know how much time it would take to swap over a transmission.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'd be a bit suss about one for $150 with a claimed <150k. Sure it wasnt an auction reserve? Usual going rate is $4-500. Tack on a few hours labour and a service and it's another $400 (ish).

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Change the fluid!! It's cheap and you'll be amazed at what it can do!! For both trans and diff!!

You might get another 100,000km out of them both! But you also might not......