Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could Holden pull off a ZB SS?

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
The supercharged 6 was actually a better drive and I believe more powerful than the V8 in that generation. That is why they killed off the Supercharged 6. Can't have a lowly 6 that is better than your big heavy petrol-guzzling v8 hero car hahahaha

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
The supercharged 6 was actually a better drive and I believe more powerful than the V8 in that generation. That is why they killed off the Supercharged 6. Can't have a lowly 6 that is better than your big heavy petrol-guzzling v8 hero car hahahaha
Not true. The V6 Supercharged Ecotec released in the VT2 products 171kw and 375Nm. The V8 at the time was the first Gen3 and it was pulling 220kw and 446Nm. Even the Series I VTs 5.0L could manage 179kw and 400Nm. They killed off the V6 because it was more expensive to produce and had to run on a minimum or 95RON. The Gen3 in the 220kW detuned state could run on 91RON. So the Gen3 stayed and the V6 went bye bye.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Are you old enough to remember these cars first hand??? From bum in the seat experience, the L67 was seriously under done and with the epic lack of development there after it appears that was all the good ol' buick was reliably (read warranty wise) capable of. The main reason the L67 was killed was due to the end of Buick in favour of the Alloyfail.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Are you old enough to remember these cars first hand??? From bum in the seat experience, the L67 was seriously under done and with the epic lack of development there after it appears that was all the good ol' buick was reliably (read warranty wise) capable of. The main reason the L67 was killed was due to the end of Buick in favour of the Alloyfail.
Reaper is right. I owned a super 6 Calais VT S1 for 5 years. It wound up faster than the 5L V8 when you were overtaking and it felt faster (initially) off the line than the LS1s I owned after that. Even with 91 Octane which was all I could generally get in WA. OK for its lower compression ratio. Sounded good, especially when the pulley was changed for a smaller one to pump more air into engine. Mind you when the LS1 hit its stride, a few revs up the gauge, it was faster than the Super 6. So a supercharger should fit under ZB bonnet, would sound great and would be great fun. Not sure if the engine can take it and if it would be economic, given the low volumes now.

Last edited:

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon

Yes. My brother bought a V8 when he finished up in the Army, and at the same time I bought the supercharged 6. We got both through the same dealer, they were delivered within days of each other, and aside from the engine choice, the only other difference was colour choice. While I note above you say the power of the v8 was greater, our 'tests' showed that not to be the case - probably engine weight or something (lets not talk about that any more than to say that breaking out from a stationary start at the lights the scV6 would be a block ahead before the v8 really got started... and the gap only got wider from there... and my brother is NOT a slow driver. Even now he throws his cars around at speeds that make me feel a little inadequate :) )

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes. My brother bought a V8 when he finished up in the Army, and at the same time I bought the supercharged 6. We got both through the same dealer, they were delivered within days of each other, and aside from the engine choice, the only other difference was colour choice. While I note above you say the power of the v8 was greater, our 'tests' showed that not to be the case - probably engine weight or something (lets not talk about that any more than to say that breaking out from a stationary start at the lights the scV6 would be a block ahead before the v8 really got started... and the gap only got wider from there... and my brother is NOT a slow driver. Even now he throws his cars around at speeds that make me feel a little inadequate :) )
A block ahead? That's what, 200m? C'mon mate. Seriously. You're dreaming. The stock 5L had good low end torque. I've driven both. The 5L would not be "a block" behind. The LS1 VT2, would leave the SC6 in it's exhaust fumes.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Back on topic. Why not?
After 2 days in a ZB I'm rapt! It's a cracking good car. I'd buy a ZB SS.
I might even sell my VF Redline to get one. I'm that impressed.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Back on topic. Why not?
After 2 days in a ZB I'm rapt! It's a cracking good car. I'd buy a ZB SS.
I might even sell my VF Redline to get one. I'm that impressed.

To average Joe (or even to relatively informed people) it doesn't really seem to do anything better than other similar cars that already exist (and that are proven and have much better after market support). Mazda already have the MPS 3, Honda have the Type-R civic, and keep in mind that the AWD VXR V6 version of the Commodore is already on the market, and for similar money to that you could get a WRX or an Evo or a Focus RS or a Stinger (or the other two) which mostly have the option of manual too, or some kind of pretty decent Euro for that coin if you wanted comfort too (not that the others are necessarily uncomfortable). IMHO opinion it kind of suffers from the same perception of the Malibu.

At another level I think it's a GM issue, they'd have to bring in a decent engine from the US (looking at the twin turbo V6 HF engines at a minimum), as well as generally not being as well regarded by the public for build quality as Japanese or Euro cars.

And then at another level I think a lot of buyers here are too one eyed and narrow minded to see past the name plate and will instantly discount it because it doesn't meet some arbitrary expectation or specification in their head (i.e. cylinders or naming).

I'd really like to see them put together something good (they kind of had had the chance but decided to bring the most boring variants of the ZB here), but the cards are stacked against them in this sense, particularly with pricing.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
To average Joe (or even to relatively informed people) it doesn't really seem to do anything better than other similar cars that already exist (and that are proven and have much better after market support). Mazda already have the MPS 3, Honda have the Type-R civic, and keep in mind that the AWD VXR V6 version of the Commodore is already on the market, and for similar money to that you could get a WRX or an Evo or a Focus RS or a Stinger (or the other two) which mostly have the option of manual too, or some kind of pretty decent Euro for that coin if you wanted comfort too (not that the others are necessarily uncomfortable). IMHO opinion it kind of suffers from the same perception of the Malibu.

At another level I think it's a GM issue, they'd have to bring in a decent engine from the US (looking at the twin turbo V6 HF engines at a minimum), as well as generally not being as well regarded by the public for build quality as Japanese or Euro cars.

And then at another level I think a lot of buyers here are too one eyed and narrow minded to see past the name plate and will instantly discount it because it doesn't meet some arbitrary expectation or specification in their head (i.e. cylinders or naming).

I'd really like to see them put together something good (they kind of had had the chance but decided to bring the most boring variants of the ZB here), but the cards are stacked against them in this sense, particularly with pricing.
Of all the cars you mention, really o not the stinger is comparable in size and versatility. The various hatches just don't cut it for me. I need a four door sedan with a decent boot. My daughter had a Focus and now a VXR Astra. Yes, they're sporty, but they're very cramped in comparison. We had three adults, three large airport style wheel bags and three large laptop bags and still more room for activities in the ZB. It'll do me.