Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could YOU be an installer? *huge mofo post*

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
after doing that i think i better go check that my gps antenna wires are the right lenth.... oh hang on they were made by some other prick and i just stuck it there.
i figure most of this stuff is to do with design and what we need to do as amature installers is match a to b and make sure c doesnt touch a and b or else the fuse in d will blow and may require an extra $1 on a new fuse because c touched a when it shouldnt have.
sorry if i seem c.unty i just think yes people have different jobs, professions, knowledge. i could install a stereo with good results. you could probably teach a grade 3 class. thats where we are the same. the difference in doing is knowing the reason behind doing.
it sucks that people say anyone could do it. its the same with teaching. everyone thinks they could teach someone something but it doesnt make them a teacher. take it with a grain of salt mate ive learned to.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
here goes

Rob

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Julie, what I forgot to mention was that the MECP qualification is an American and British certificate that I own and I dearly think should be instated here in Oz.

There is NO actual qualification here in Australia. When you consider the costs of cars and automotive acessories and the fact that we can be playing god with peoples lives. I think there SHOULD be qualifications. Too many threads about JB and Strathfield prove this....

Heh, if all goes well, I will unleash the Dreaded MASTER Class installer exam onto you all and see how many could pass that. You need a 90% pass.

I think vlv8vic said ot best. He can do it. But, he has no clue what he is doing. Now, no offence John, but would you pay him $48p/hour to install $5000 worth of equipment?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
haha i wouldnt pay ME that to install!!!!! not offended at all mate. surprised you arent offended i came accross as a bit of grump on this one.

Would anyone let Ray teach their grade 3? lol imagine what they would do to the fkn car when they got home from school....

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Agree with you 100% about the fact that there should be compulsory qualifications here. When you think about it you are playing with electricity. Electricians have to do an apprenticeship and tafe, forcing them to have decent knowledge and practical skills to safely do their job. Don't see why it should be any different for car audio installers, maybe an apprenticeship is a bit much to ask as they only have to deal with cars but a knowledge and practical exam wouldn't go astray. Whether or not it ever happens is another story altogether, the government would probably see these qualifications as meaning a few more thousand people lining up at centrelink.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Rattler, your concerns are noted.

In that vein, don't get me started on who can call themselves an engineer these days...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Heh, I used to have a hard enough time trying not to strangle my trainees!!!

"Why the **** did you just use two gauge cable for two hundred watt amplifier?! What do you expect me to tell the customer about the sudden increase of a hundred bucks?!"

OR, my all time classic.

"That Barina just came back in, her phone doesn't work at all since you installed the carkit and she keeps blowing the dashlight fuse."
"Oh?"
"Oh? You kill an expensive phone and all you can say is oh?"
"Yeah"
"Did you test it?"
"yes"
"You couldn't have"
"But I did"
"No, you didn't"
"Yes, I did"
"Not properly"
"So, you followed the checklist I gave you?"
"No"
"Why not?"
"I forgot"
"You forgot.....remember my number one rule I gave you when you first started?"
"Which one?"
"You bend you spend."
"****"
"Yeah"
"How much?"
"I'll let you know, now **** off out of my sight. I'm not in the mood for morons"

I think I was a little harsh with him then, but after 12 months I thought he would've known to check his earth wires....

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
It's a scary thought isn't it Michael? I know I can work fumble my way around a circuit board but there is no way I would ever call myself an expert let alone an engineer...

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Yep. But as I failed your test, it goes to show that just because I am an engineer does not mean I should be trusted with a 2 grand audio install. Besides I listen to the ABC news radio most days.

And as it is Engineering week next week, I shall put in a plug. Engineers get to do fun things. Check out this link (sorry it is a bit big)
http://www.ansto.gov.au/ansto/bragg/workshops/w3report.pdf Page 4 I am the good looking blur second on the right at the back ;)

Mike

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Dude. I dunno how some people get their engineering degree hey. I’m currently studying mechatronics at UQ and for our team project last semester two of the people in my group had never seen a bread board before. I thought they were joking when they said “what’s that?”. I don’t know how they passed first year. Or even just recently, in one of our practicals we had to set up various op-amp circuits and measure the characteristics of an op-amp chip. Almost half the class didn’t know how to set up a +15/-15 voltage source to power the chip. I’m embarrassed that the university actually let the pass “intro to electrical engineering”.