Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could YOU be an installer? *huge mofo post*

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Round 2

Ok, you wanted the First Class installers Examination. I will type it up when I get home from work tomorrow. For now, I need sleep, I have a fleet install again tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it.....15 Trucks all needing a Phone and Satellite tracking installed. Maybe I should just butcher them? I am on 22 of course. It is acceptable for me to do so! lol

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
well i know a tiny bit about electrical stuff, i dont consider myself compent enough to install a new head unit, but heres my attempt at this thoughoug quiz [based off what i know and what i feel is common sense]

What are the four different electronic properties you will encounter?
3, Resistance, voltage, ohms, inductance

What is voltage?
4, The relationship between current, resistance and power

Which of the following cannot be determined by Ohm's Law?
1, If a certain gauge wire is too small

Using a multimeter, you can measure current and voltage, but you cannot directly measure resistance in a live circuit.
1, True

A Watt represents the conversion of one joule per second into:
4, All of the above answers are correct

What is the impact of Kirchoff's Voltage Law if there is a poorly crimped terminal in the installation?
3, One Volt dropped through a connector will reduce Voltage to the equipment by two Volts (1:2 ratio)

Which of the following is a characteristic of a resistor?
5, All of the above are correct

An Electrolytic capacitor is known for its excellent sound quality and is used for the higher crossover frequencies.
1, True

How do you determine the total resistance of a circuit?
1, Add up all of the resistances

What does a passive crossover for a basic two-way system consist of?
1, Two passive filters
3, One capacitor for the tweeter and one inductor for the woofer
-i figure its one of the two-

According to Ohm's Law, if you want to calculate current you would:
4, Divide the voltage into the resistance

What is the general rule regarding power and signal leads?
1, Always run power and signal leads next to each other
2, Depending on the installation, it is acceptable to cross the battery lead
3, Run the wiring parallel to the car's factory wiring for ease of routing
4, Depending on the installation, it is acceptable to cross the battery lead
5, All of the above answers are correct

-dont know, i would of figure 1 = crosstalk 2+4 are the same answer and again i figure its crosstalk 3= well a high power amp lead might cause issues with the cars sensores etc 5= i dont think so.
though i suppose speaker wiring might be able to run next to the stock wires for ease..

Ground loops are the most frequent cause of noise problems in car audio installations.
1, True

When should you use crimp connectors in installations?
4, Never

How do you test for alternator whine?
1, Turn the audio system on, turn the volume all the way down, then rev the engine

Which of the following is the best diagnostic tool for use on a brand new car with a computer-controlled ignition, computerized climate control system and a trip computer?
3, DMM (digital multimeter)

If you want to check the amperage draw of a component or security system brain, and the suspect component is not blowing the supplied fuse, you should set your amperage scale on your VOM to a range above the fuse rating of the component.
1, True

Which type of fire extinguisher is best suited for a mobile electronics shop?
1, Type A
2, Type B
3, Type C
4, Halon
5, All of the above are acceptable

-ah. i know know what type is what but i would suspect a powder extinguiser is best, water one would cause issues and CO2 one im not sure of.

What is the first step involved in troubleshooting for system noise problems?
2, Identifying the type of noise

At what frequency is the human ear most sensitive?
3, 1,000 Hz to 2,000 Hz

What is sympathetic vibration?
3, Distortion

An audio signal is an electrical representation of what?
2, Octave

Destructive interference refers to two speakers whose sound waves are working against each other and are out of phase by:
2, 90 degrees

A magnetic Reed Switch, also called a magnetic proximity switch:
1, Uses magnetic force to cause a set of contacts to connect

The most common device to interrupt a vehicle's starter is a:
1, Electronic switching capacitor

An impact sensor the best device to detect breaking glass during a break-in attempt?
1, True

A pulse or universal timer can be used to:
1, Remove unwanted EMI from your security system

A glass-mount antenna will transmit and receive best:
3, When mounted between or above the defogger grids

Extending the length of the RG58 coax cable supplied by the manufacturer can result in as much as 3dB of signal loss.
1, True

The small holes on the side of the hands-free microphone are commonly used for...
2, Noise canceling

Painting a cellular antenna mast with car paint typically causes up to 1 dB of signal loss.
1, True

Which of the following materials will not attenuate the signal from a GPS Antenna:
4, Factory pigment tinted glass

The best choice of mounting position for the GPS antenna is:
4, On the rear deck or dash

The length of antenna cable on a GPS receiver is:
4, Uncorrelated

A true VSS signal will vary in proportion with:
2, Engine RPM

When testing a digital VSS with a DMM set to a minimum 30VDC range, the DMM display should:
1, Fluctuate between 5 to12 volts with tire rotation

hope i did well, what the "genral rule for power and signal leads" a trick question?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
12Voltking said:
Maybe I should just butcher them? I am on 22 of course. It is acceptable for me to do so! lol

You were the one who mentioned butcher! :wave:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Your so confident that anyone under 25 does a bad job. Bad Job is refered to as a Butcher Job ;)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I didn't say that.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
zoist said:
There is no way I would let some young kid under 25 touch my car to do any electrical work. I have seen what some of them do and basically haven't got enough experience.

Isn't insinuation a wonderful term?

F

fatboyvncalaisv8

just curious, was this an installers course, or auto elec, or what.
just wouldn't mind finding out more details for my cousin.
he is going to do his auto elec final year soon, and was wondering if there was a seperate course on installing that would be worth while, or is it just redoing what he has already done?
eg, do you do things like fiberglassing, machining and metal fab, speaker repair etc.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I'd personally rather a bloke who has 30 years experience than using a 20 year old young person touching my car.

gimme someone who is up to date and properly qualified anyday. age means nothing. i know an old mechanic near home, been fixing cars forever, wont touch fuel injection though, to new-fangled for him. i know thats severe but making a point.

if i can relate if once again to my teaching a class or grade threes, anyone could keep them amused forthe day, i did 4 years uni to be able to do it with some influence and engagement. another loose connection but you get the drift (and the pun no doubt)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Well I'd say any major mechanic business would be up to date with virtually most engine equipment. Most of them wouldn't touch any major electrical problems if they were a mechanic as I have found.

That old mechanic you are talking about. Is he a hobby mechanic or in the business? If he wasn't in the business, then that's why he doesn't have a clue about fuel injection.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
fatboyvncalaisv8 said:
just curious, was this an installers course, or auto elec, or what.
just wouldn't mind finding out more details for my cousin.
he is going to do his auto elec final year soon, and was wondering if there was a seperate course on installing that would be worth while, or is it just redoing what he has already done?
eg, do you do things like fiberglassing, machining and metal fab, speaker repair etc.

It's actually my American qualifications 5 years all up to get my Master Class ticket. But, I know that there is a course here in Vic for Automotive Acessoroes Installations. It's like a 3month full time hardcore course with 4 weeks work experience at a Strathfield. You would basically learn very little and I never held anyone who bragged about it in high esteem as they still didn't understand Ohms Law let alone how to splice into a wire without cutting right through. But, I'm sure if you understand all that before going in then there might be something useful for you. But, I sreiously think your cousin is better off getting a few handbooks and reading, his already got the ability, no need to be treated like a moron for 3 months longer thne he has too.