Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could YOU be an installer? *huge mofo post*

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I've been able to solder since I was 10 years old and I've played with electronics on many occasions since then, I've built several circuits (from kits) including most of the work I did on a 15 watt amp for two speakers I built - ie. make the enclosures at school then fit the speakers at home.

On the other hand, I don't know enough about the electrical system of cars to risk doing something that may cause expensive damage. On the other hand, if someone has grown up playing around under the bonnet and with some reasonable knowledge of the car's electrics, in a lot of cases they'll be better qualified to do the job than the trainee at the local car audio joint.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
zoist said:
I have done all the electrical fundamentals at school for a diploma, studied hard. Had to do tons of theory.

There is no way I would let some young kid under 25 touch my car to do any electrical work. I have seen what some of them do and basically haven't got enough experience.

So you have a few years experience? Big deal. BRAG AWAY. I hate it when people brag about their qualifications.

I think all people need to know is how to solder, crimp, understand what current and voltage is, basic stuff.

You don't need a 3 year electronics degree to install car stereos.

Ya know Zoist, it's because of people like you that I made this post in the first place.

I have worked my arse off to get where I am today. I studied hard I took my exams and I picked up my first installers position when I was 15. I look back at those years and I'm damn proud of myself.

Sure, you don't need a 3 year degree to strip a couple of wires off with your teeth and roughly tape them together inside your cousins car and then send her off in a potential fire hazard and think nothing of it(Sorry about that, just a had slight issue with a friends VH catching fire because her cousin installed a CD player without fuses). Did you know you would be able to hear the difference between an install of an ordinary persona and an install of a some who does it for a living? Like after rewiring the VH and replacing the CD Player with one of the same model she claimed there was a sub in the boot....Quality Workmanship. Damn straight I'll brag about it as well. Why shoudn't I? With so many people claiming to be an installer and so many people claiming that young people are butchers (I refer to your comment about the under 25's) I have to brag about my capabilities. I'm only 22.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
David, thats why they are usually the trainee and also, that trainee is usually the person you are talking about.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I obviously know nothing about how good you are at your job. I'd personally rather a bloke who has 30 years experience than using a 20 year old young person touching my car.

Some of the stories I have heard of are rediculous. Many of these young people couldn't care less. Sloppy work, no support afterwards and not even bothering to explain to the customer how the bloody device works. :bop:

F

fatboyvncalaisv8

12Voltking said:
What are the four different electronic properties you will encounter?
4, Voltage, current, resistance, power
though 3 phase AC and other AC is present

What is voltage?
2, The electrical pressure that moves charged particles in a circuit
Or the "potential difference" between two points, not neccesarilly moving anything.

Which of the following cannot be determined by Ohm's Law?
5, All of the above are correct

Using a multimeter, you can measure current and voltage, but you cannot directly measure resistance in a live circuit.
2, False
using V/I=R

A Watt represents the conversion of one joule per second into:
4, All of the above answers are correct

What is the impact of Kirchoff's Voltage Law if there is a poorly crimped terminal in the installation?
2, One Volt dropped through a connector will reduce Voltage to the equipment by One Volt

Which of the following is a characteristic of a resistor?
5, All of the above are correct

An Electrolytic capacitor is known for its excellent sound quality and is used for the higher crossover frequencies.
2, False

How do you determine the total resistance of a circuit?
4, divide the voltage into the current
V/I=R

What does a passive crossover for a basic two-way system consist of?
3, One capacitor for the tweeter and one inductor for the woofer

According to Ohm's Law, if you want to calculate current you would:
2, Divide the resistance into the voltage
V/R=I

What is the general rule regarding power and signal leads?
3, Run the wiring parallel to the car's factory wiring for ease of routing
The "general" rule (if there is such a thing) is to not run power and signal wires together

Ground loops are the most frequent cause of noise problems in car audio installations.
2, False
poor installation's in general are.

When should you use crimp connectors in installations?
4, Never

How do you test for alternator whine?
1, Turn the audio system on, turn the volume all the way down, then rev the engine

Which of the following is the best diagnostic tool for use on a brand new car with a computer-controlled ignition, computerized climate control system and a trip computer?
3, DMM (digital multimeter)

If you want to check the amperage draw of a component or security system brain, and the suspect component is not blowing the supplied fuse, you should set your amperage scale on your VOM to a range above the fuse rating of the component.
-You should use a good quality Clamp meter.

Which type of fire extinguisher is best suited for a mobile electronics shop?
-Dry powder, or CO2 if no dry powder

What is the first step involved in troubleshooting for system noise problems?
2, Identifying the type of noise

At what frequency is the human ear most sensitive?
3, 1,000 Hz to 2,000 Hz

What is sympathetic vibration?
2, The natural resonance of an object
??never heard anyone use that term....

An audio signal is an electrical representation of what?
1, Sound wave

Destructive interference refers to two speakers whose sound waves are working against each other and are out of phase by:
3, 180 degrees

A magnetic Reed Switch, also called a magnetic proximity switch:
1, Uses magnetic force to cause a set of contacts to connect

The most common device to interrupt a vehicle's starter is a:
3, Electromagnetic switch

An impact sensor the best device to detect breaking glass during a break-in attempt?
2, False
Motion sensors are better, infra red heat signature processors are the best

A pulse or unversal timer can be used to:
a million things including a few of the ones mentioned(dumb question)

A glass-mount antenna will transmit and receive best:
1, When mounted over two defogger grids
2, When it is mounted over an FM antenna grid
3, When mounted between or above the defogger grids
4, When placed at a 45 degree angle to the ground plane
???dont know, never had to do it..

Extending the length of the RG58 coax cable supplied by the manufacturer can result in as much as 3dB of signal loss.
2, False
If the anntenna is tuned correctly.

The small holes on the side of the hands-free microphone are commonly used for...
1, Decoration
2, Noise canceling
3, The mounting clip
4, Water drainage
??? IS this really needed to be known?

Painting a cellular antenna mast with car paint typically causes up to 1 dB of signal loss.
1, True

Which of the following materials will not attenuate the signal from a GPS Antenna:
4, Factory pigment tinted glass

The best choice of mounting position for the GPS antenna is:
4, On the rear deck or dash

The length of antenna cable on a GPS receiver is:
2, Preset

A true VSS signal will vary in proportion with:
1, Engine temperature
2, Engine RPM
3, Ignition voltage
4, Battery voltage
5, Vehicle speed
What does VSS stand for, everyone uses different terminology, from tafe to tafe, workshop to workshop.....

When testing a digital VSS with a DMM set to a minimum 30VDC range, the DMM display should:
1, Fluctuate between 5 to12 volts with tire rotation
2, Starts at 12 volts and rises as tire rotation increases
3, Change between 0 and 5 to12 with the engine running
4, Increase from 0 volts as the engine RPM increases
AS above...

This test is flawed and pretty vague, seems to be more focused on GPS and Hands free kits, than anything else.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Not quite. 75% pertains GENERAL electrical knowledge. Very little of it is actually based at GPS and cellular technology. Vague? Perhaps, but your aware how broad of a area mobile electronics is.

Sorry, guys. I've lost the my correction sheet that I recieved back with it. I'm about 95% sure I can answer them all correctly for you. But, I won't correct them until I'm 100%

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
12Voltking said:
Sorry, guys. I've lost the my correction sheet that I recieved back with it. I'm about 95% sure I can answer them all correctly for you.

Way you go. I always dreaded having to answer any of my old exams.

Mike

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ok, found it! Expect your results over the next couple of days. I have done a couple so check your inboxs

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
How about I post about the Master/First Class Ticket? I passed that one....not quite as well as the one I did with my Basic(the one posted)

I can post up my answers for that one if you like......

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Lets play round two. Hopefully there is less fluffly language.

Mike