Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Council road works car damage

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
You dont know unless you try.

There is no damage to the OP's car, just some tar and bitumen stuck to the vehicle. He wants them to pay to clean his car and I seriously doubt they will do that.

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
sorry mate but whoever told you you would have no luck is correct , had council road workers fix up the road and verge around my place and they ran there ####ing bobcat into our front fence smashing bricks over and bending the gate to the left of it as a result , long story short we rang them got a letter a week latter saying " As no witnesses came forth , we have concluded that the fence damage was not caused by the council and will not be paying for repairs " . you could literally see the track marks into the wall ...
they wont pay for ####ing **** if they dont want to

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I'd go for it, in VIC when i worked at the Motorbike shop alot of guys had incidents with pot holes cracking rims and some of them falling off. The guy who fell off got paid out 250K...

All i can say is be consistant, one of the blokes at work had a slip because the council were using that soapy stuff on a road to clean it and it was around a corner, but the worst bit is on a bike with 2 wheels it dries into the side walls.

Long story short went to pull outta work and went straight under him.

Chase them up, no signs or anything is bad but photos are critical, of the road, the car, damage etc..

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Yes but there was no signage, and the road was not set. I understand why is being said though, and i probably won't get anywhere.

With regards to a tin of tar remover, yeah sure i can go over the whole car with some thinners, i've then have to wax and seal the car again too, it's not as simple as just getting rid of the tar.

The least you can do is let them know with some pics.

DO NOT get it off with THINNERS. I had this problem in NSW a couple of years ago, but not as bad as yours, and it took me several days to get it off with kerosene that did not damage the paint work......I had small spots everywhere..........I then polished the car...........A total PITA.

Mines Heron White so it showed up badly before I got it off. Suggest get it off as fast as you can before it sets, then polish it all over.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
just go to that council's building and shoot the outside of it with tar and bitumen. then they will have to pay someone to clean it all off... even stephen

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Heart goes out to you. I had the same thing a couple of years ago while driving from Sydney to Adelaide to display/enter a car show. I had prepared the car for a couple of months.

My Heron White Calais was absolutely sprayed with a fine mist of tar all over. Every panel including the wheels. I spent almost 2 days with tar remover which of course totally removed the professional paint protection a detailer applied before I left (a few hundred dollars worth).

This also meant I ran out of time and couldn't properly prepare underneath the car.

Anyway, it was still one of the best shows I have been to!

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Depends; when I was with the RTA we took a statement via brief interview, took pics of damage and sent it off to our legal department. We never knew the outcome. Depends if the council ####ed up or not. In one case it was our mistake (our sealers put down a bad seal. A friend ran over a tin of paint left by road workers and successfully claimed against the authorities. OTOH, if what they did was normal operating procedure you don't really have anything to run with. I get tar on my white VX all the time, I just de-tar it for shows and whenever I am otherwise bored.

T-Bone75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline, VC resto
Council told me to go jump (basically) after my windscreen got cracked traveling through an area where roadworks were going on. I was doing the correct speed etc, the large stone was flicked up by someone going the other way. There was large gravel all over both sides of the road. I reckon you've got buckleys.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
maybe include a photo of your car with the letter so they can also LOL at the massive rims on your Cruze. :)

seriously though HTFU

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
maybe include a photo of your car with the letter so they can also LOL at the massive rims on your Cruze. :)

seriously though HTFU

Getting tired of your comments, my car is my bussiness, if you don't like it that's fine, i don't like 9/10 Commodores i see either. You might one day if you too can afford to buy a new car, feel differently about what happens to it.