Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Couple of little issues with my VZ

parko89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Hey lads,

Recently bought a 2005 VZ S ute and have a few little issues with it.

Leak - If I'm driving around and then return home to park in the garage, there is a leak coming from the center of the engine which leaks for about 30mins and then stops. It is only water and I'm guessing it's got something to do with the AirCon. Is this normal?

Horn - Doesn't work... I've taken a look and there is no horn relay in the Fuses and Relays box in the engine bay. I tried testing it with some spare relays I had in the glove box and a relay for something else (which works), but the horn still won't work. It just makes a clicking noise which sounds like it's coming from the relay box. There are also these little white plastic inserts which act as an adapter for the relays which is missing so I tested it with one that worked. Also, when putting a relay into the horn relay slot, it fits but is really loose and doesn't feel like it's in properly. It looks like it's missing the metal thing inside the relay socket which holds the relay in. Here's a pic -

attachment.php

Antenna - I want to be able to stop the antenna motor from working so I can set the antenna at a manual height. I've read on posts here that you need to remove the wheel and the plastics in the wheel arch to access the motor. Is there another way which would be easier? I tried removing the fuse which also works the hazard lights and the hazards stop working but the antenna motor still works. Any other ideas?

Wheels - I bought the car with 20" chrome rims which I really don't like. I've found a guy online that will swap me the wheels and tyres for a set of VE II wheels with new tyres. He has the center hole bored out so it will fit a VZ and the stu pattern is the same. The VE II wheels are only 18x8. Will I have any issues with these like rubbing at full lock?

Sorry for such a large post but I thought I'd keep it to one so I'm not posting everywhere.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 653

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
'Leak'-The water is not a leak, it's just condensation from the air con dripping out. Happens on every car.

Wheels - 18 x 8's are fine on a VZ (if not substantially lowered anyway), however if coming off a VE the tyres will be 245/45/R18 which will give you a slightly larger rolling diamater then what is on the VZ making your speedo be out a little bit. In order to have your speedo more accurate you need to run 235/40/18.

parko89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
'Leak'-The water is not a leak, it's just condensation from the air con dripping out. Happens on every car.

Wheels - 18 x 8's are fine on a VZ (if not substantially lowered anyway), however if coming off a VE the tyres will be 245/45/R18 which will give you a slightly larger rolling diamater then what is on the VZ making your speedo be out a little bit. In order to have your speedo more accurate you need to run 235/40/18.

Awesome, thanks for the help man. I didn't think the water was an issue so all good there. With the wheels, if running the VE II wheels, how much out will the speedo be? Anything too drastic or will it be manageable?

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Antenna

Want you want to do with the antenna is easy, put the front wheels full lock to the right, you can undo the plastic on the rear of the guard, (don't need to fully remove) reach inside and disconnect the power wire from the unit -then you just manually set the antenna to your desired height.

I have done it on my car -I think its the gearing that pulls the rope up and down shits itself and the motor just keeps spinning.

parko89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Want you want to do with the antenna is easy, put the front wheels full lock to the right, you can undo the plastic on the rear of the guard, (don't need to fully remove) reach inside and disconnect the power wire from the unit -then you just manually set the antenna to your desired height.

I have done it on my car -I think its the gearing that pulls the rope up and down shits itself and the motor just keeps spinning.

OK, thanks mate. I'll give that another shot. The plastic is pretty annoying to get off. I may just jack the car up and take the wheel off because there's not much room with 20" wheels.

Did you have any idea with the horn?

5N17R

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vz ss ute

Did not know that at all, Thanks for that info man was going to upgrade soon need to get a corrector :)

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
If you have the right tyres the speedo will be fine. It's only when fools keep the ve 245/45/18 tyres you have issues. With the proper 235/40/18 you'll be fine.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2