Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

couple of RWC questions

Powerbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH STROKER
drums are probably oversize and/or badly scored.
drum brakes are a bit fiddly, but not difficult. Make sure you back the handbrake cable right off first. Just pull one side apart at a time so you can check the other side if you forget where everything goes.

steering rack swap isn't difficult, but you'll really need to get the toe adjustment done after you have done the swap. Have to be fairly lucky to get it right by eye.
power steer pump - just remove it & take it to a steering place and get them to put a kit through it.
auto pan gasket, easy. But make sure the transmission is cool before you do it. The oil is thicker and won't burn you when it runs down your arms ;)

Listen to this post , its spot on.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Make sure you back the handbrake cable right off first. Just pull one side apart at a time so you can check the other side if you forget where everything goes.

Exactly what I did when I learnt to change drum brakes at the tender age of 15 on my old mans Austin Kimberly MKII!!

And also, if you are not using a hoist make sure you chock the front wheels properly!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
yeah this too ^^^ power steering pumps can really add up if you are replacing them.
If you want a quick way order an exhange pump and hand yours over when they give the new one.

I may have a really good VK 6 pump sitting in the shed if yoyur interested

Scott