Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

couple queeries..

daveee90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
#1. You cant connect a sub and amp to a stock vx head unit coz it has no rca output true or false? If true, is there soemthing i can buy to put in as a rca, or do i just need to get a whole new headunit?

#2. I turned my car on to "police mode" i dunno the real term, but when you hold mode and up and turn the car on, it comes up with the extra digitial readings. I noticed that my needle speedo and my digital speedo where 5km/h different, which one is more reliable??

#3. One of my mates reckons that when you thrash your car, you should have the heater on as it takes the hot air away from the engine, everyone layed into him calling him a ******** haha, just wondering if his theory is at all logical or what?

Thanks heaps.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
1. Not sure on that one.

2. In your "engineer's mode" if you go to the one where the dash lights all come on, the speed needle should sit on 100km/h if my memory is correct. Just to eliminate your needle being out of whack. I'd say the digital speedo would be more reliable.

3. Turning your heater on is a good way to limp your car home if it's on it's way to overheating. When thrashing your car just turn the aircon/heating off completely. If you're thrashing your car to where it's going to overheat then turning your heater on will help keep it cooler.

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5 spd/ VZ SS 6 spd 6ltr
dont think you could get the amp plugs converted, prob be a bit of work, id say just go for an aftermarket stereo then its easy done, and you can even get the ones that fill up 2 DIN holes to make it look better, but your choice

pretty sure when you put on the heater it removes heat from the engine and transfers it to the inside of your car therefore making the engine cooler but dont know how effective that would be, but ive heard from a guy its a good thing to do if your engines going to overheat

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
can't you get a high low converter so it has RCA's plugs? Speaker to RCA Line Level Converter Adjustable High/Low - eBay Accessories, Cables, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 01-Apr-09 00:57:28 AEDST)

Two of them should do the trick.

With the speedo, hold the mode and up button and scroll through untill all the lights and dial move, if it sits on 100ks then its accurate. if its high or lower then thats what its out by.

With the heater. well all has been said about that already

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Yeah, or you can use an amplifier with 'high level' inputs, and just jump into the rear speaker wires. Set the low pass filter on the amp and you're in business.

nick3110

2.5" Catback
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
please don't thrash your car to the fact that you need to turn on ur heater to cool it down.. you'll kill it so quickly..

but yes his theory is logical, and it does work.. only know because of my last car had a ****ed up radiator lol..

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The digital speedo would be correct. All speedos are out a bit and they are made that way on purpose. Any one with a GPS will notice that the speedo reading is about 4-5 kph slower than what the GPS says. GPS are very accurate.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
My son has a 4 channel amp and a sub in his VY using the stock head unit by using a couple of high / low converters.Have a look in the audio section there should be a write up in there .

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
the heater won't help bugger all, it was meant for older cars that don't produce as much heat as these newer cars, there is theory behind it but it doesn't work in newer cars, tried so many times still will overheat if its on its way to overheating i.e something wrong.