Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Covering or Removing the stock front speaker grills on a VR

kyle_vovin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Has anyone covered or removed the front stock speaker grills on the VR?

The stupid plastic ones are part of the door mound or I either want to cover their with standard speaker grill mesh or if possible remove the door trim and cut out the grill and replace it with something else.

Anyone anyone tried this before?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hang on rdo you mean the plastic horizontal bars over the speakers in the front, if so yes theres a metal grill that covers this, much better looking. i cut mine out with a dremil and file, and side cutters.

kyle_vovin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Quote:hang on rdo you mean the plastic horizontal bars over the speakers in the front, if so yes theres a metal grill that covers this, much better looking. i cut mine out with a dremil and file, and side cutters.

Yes! thats what i wanted to know! So, you cut out the plastic horizontal bars over the speaker and replaced it with the metal grill. What sort of metal grill did u use? Because i asked at AutoBarn if they sold just the metal grill to cover speakers, which you can cut to size yourself. But they said they only have it in certain sizes such as, 6x9 etc...

Do you have any pictures of your ones? Could you post a reply with some pics here.

Did they turn out looking alright? :)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
mmmmmm.... u can buy the actual metal covers for them from holden or the wreckers, they are off a calais,statesman or grange....

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the metal grill was supplied on pretty much everything but the exec depending.
when you get hold of the metal grill there are tabs that are inserted into the exhisting hole around the outside of the bars. if i pull my door off then sure i will take a pic but i currently have too much on my plate with work and car stuff to say i definately can.
its really easy, just cut.snip out the bars and then file off as much plastic as possible.
get the grills from a wrecker.
BUT
why do you want to cut the grill out? i did it for clearence for my splits, but to fit the grill it just sits on top of the bars. no cutting ot anthing required.