Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crack in stock headers...

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
Hey guys i noticed a hairline crack running at the corner of cyl#5 header a few weeks back and thought nothing of it, as the crack was small.

After installing a new oxy sensor last week the car ran like a dream again + the engine bay was so much cooler than it was when it was running the old fried o2 sensor. Last few days the engine is running hot ( like hurts-your-hand-hot) again and ive noticed that the crack has got bigger.
So I'm guessing that air in getting into the exhaust manifold is giving the oxy sensor a false reading so the ECU is dumping more fuel to try to 'warm up' the engine thats allready hot..

Is there anything i can use to fix the header? like a sealant that i can use to cover over the crack , or do I have to resort to welding it...
Getting new one's are a possibility.. but i kind of.. havn't got any money atm..

Would there be any major consequences if i just leave it?
thanks
-man this is almost an essay :p

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
yeah just weld em up its the easiest way

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
ok, so there isnt any kind of easy apply sealant that doesnt involve havin to take off the headers? it just looks like a huge prick of a job to do + the most ive got are chassis stands

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
ok, so there isnt any kind of easy apply sealant that doesnt involve havin to take off the headers? it just looks like a huge prick of a job to do + the most ive got are chassis stands

Not that can take the heat. Very common to crack. It's take em off and weld or replace.

I had a cracked header for about 6 months on my wagon - fixed em when the welsh plug went and needed to be repaired :).

Wont kill the car - but not good for it either.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
ok thanks, damn i guess thats the go then.. bloody hell old age can be a b**ch.

would it affect fuel economy a bit? as the ECU may be getting wrong o2 readings ect?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Wont be easy to weld cast headers properly. But I've seen some dude making thicker stronger ones

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Bummer - forgot they changed to cast iron headers. My 88 VN wagon had the steel tube headers - so much easier to weld than cast.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I guess it would be worth a shot, if/when ive got the right rods.

I dont suppose welding them with MIG would do it any good? as heat would be too fast and MIG would melt the iron too much?
-I'm just going off info pulled off a google search on welding cast iron. - http://www.grahamandrews.com/welding_repairs.htm

All i need is a patch over the crack really, and stop it from spreading too

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Hey guys i noticed a hairline crack running at the corner of cyl#5 header a few weeks back and thought nothing of it, as the crack was small.

After installing a new oxy sensor last week the car ran like a dream again + the engine bay was so much cooler than it was when it was running the old fried o2 sensor. Last few days the engine is running hot ( like hurts-your-hand-hot) [it's supposed to run hot, it's an engine. Operating temp is in the high 90degC range.] again and ive noticed that the crack has got bigger.
So I'm guessing that air in getting into the exhaust manifold is giving the oxy sensor a false reading so the ECU is dumping more fuel to try to 'warm up' the engine thats allready hot.. [more fuel COOLS the motor, not warms.. not sure on o2 sensor being affected by header crack]

Is there anything i can use to fix the header? like a sealant that i can use to cover over the crack , or do I have to resort to welding it... [get a 2nd hand header, they are throwaway items on these cars. Or pick up some 2nd hand extractors, I got my Pacemakers for $150. Only choice unfortunately if you want to fix this]
Getting new one's are a possibility.. but i kind of.. havn't got any money atm..

Would there be any major consequences if i just leave it? [probably not, no. My VN stock header was cracked for yeeears, probably not as bad as yours though]
thanks
-man this is almost an essay :p

see bold parts^