Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked Air Intake and Transmission Issues

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Have been having an issue with my auto transmission for the past couple of months where it would take take too long to shift gears, normally between 2-3 and 3-4. Instead of shifting gears the revs would just continue to climb and then finally shift, but late.

Replaced TPS with a brand new one and cleaned TB thinking that was the issue but still happening. Noticed today that I have about 5cm crack in the air intake hose and am now wondering if that could be causing the issue with late gear shifting?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get that fixed and then see what it does.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Get that fixed and then see what it does.

Definitely planning on it, but it won't be for a week or so but in the meantime I figured I'd ask around to see if it could be causing the issue, if it is then great if not then I'll put off fixing it (or duct tape it for a temp fix) and keep diagnosing the shifting issue first.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it's sucking air after the MAF the PCM doesn't see that air so doesn't add fuel for it. The O2 sensors will start to trim it out but long story short it can cause a lean condition which may or may not damage the engine depending on how bad it is.

Karl Robbers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s ute
If it's sucking through a 5cm crack, then that is also letting dust into your engine which will do all sorts of harm.