Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked Chrome Trim on Lower Front Grill on VFII SV6

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Here's the link Lower Trim They list it as pick up . Because i bought the whole set from them i got them to post it with the other stuff so no postage , if you ring them i'm sure they will organize freight .
LOL at the icy poles sticks , its a bit confusing because some clips are upper and some lower , it could work . I did break a couple of the clip parts maybe it is the way to go , or just remove the bumper

My bad. Didn't read your post properly I'm after the black not chrome :(
Guess i could wrap all my front trim black or spray then clear or just dip them:rolleyes:
Thanks kleanphil

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Guess i could wrap all my front trim black or spray then clear or just dip them:rolleyes:
Thanks kleanphil
The problem with wrap it's tricky to get all the curvy bit's without cutting the corners to get it to lay flat , especially the DRL bezels , atleast if you spray them you get full coverage then use the clear to protect the forward facing parts susceptible to chips with clear .
best i saw for black was $200-$235 for lower , or $395 for upper and lower and $105 for the DRL bezels
EDIT: I don't know how durable dipping them are , from what i see it doesn't last long on a heavy wear area
EDIT : Here's a chrome one for $98 Chrome Lower Trim

Last edited:

VFIIBCB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Thanks for all of your feedback.

I guess the most confusing element to this is that the damage is localized to the entire chrome piece. I even shone an LED torch (in total darkness) over the entire front on the car to see if there was evidence of other damage - but to no avail. I would've thought that even someone nudging the front of the car would've left some evidence. Part of me was hoping to find other damage so at least I can take responsibility for the cracks.

I am the only person who drives the car & have never noticed any impacts whilst driving.

One thing I find strange is that the only inspection done on the car was by the dealership. Considering the dealership & Holden are separate entities, shouldn't an inspection be done by Holden? I offered to present it to them but they refused. Maybe I'm missing something here?

The reason for my original post was to see if anyone else has had a similar experience with what is otherwise an awesome vehicle. Holden have said that because there have been no other complaints in regard to this problem, that it isn't a manufacturing fault. I've been in contact with NSW Fair Trading, who have been very helpful. Holden have responded by offering to cover the cost of the part, and I pay for labour.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
without reading the thread too much i would be prepared to say defect.

The chrome trim around my passengers side air vent went like this.

I ordered another one from eBay which is also like this so annoying. had to get a refund.

Got a third incoming hopefully the chrome isn't lifting on that one.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
One thing I find strange is that the only inspection done on the car was by the dealership. Considering the dealership & Holden are separate entities, shouldn't an inspection be done by Holden? I offered to present it to them but they refused. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Dealerships are franchees or agents of Holden.

Their role is to interact with the customers. It would have to be a highly unique / costly issue for anyone from Holden to personally inspect the car, if anyone from Holden is even still employed to do so.

Holden have said that because there have been no other complaints in regard to this problem, that it isn't a manufacturing fault.

Such a ridiculous view to hold.

Holden have responded by offering to cover the cost of the part, and I pay for labour.

Probably a reasonable compromise given the value involved vs the time & cost involved in taking it further.

How much labour $$ are they asking for ? I wouldn't have thought it would be too much ?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Probably a reasonable compromise given the value involved vs the time & cost involved in taking it further.

How much labour $$ are they asking for ? I wouldn't have thought it would be too much ?
They would have to remove the front bumper to remove it properly , but my guess is they will just literally rip the old one out and just push the new one straight in . A new one is $100 bucks so if its much more than that i'd consider just doing it myself .
Once removed the new one just slots straight in from the front

Thanks kleanphil
On closer inspection the DRL bezels would be easy to wrap , it was only the upper grill surround the guy had a problem with

VFIIBCB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
The quote for the labour is $295. Unfortunately, they do have to remove the bumper bar - from my understanding, if it was the upper (& not lower) grill surround, the bumper bar doesn't need to be removed.

I have 3 options:-
(1) contest the matter legally, which would be time-consuming & possibly costly
(2) leave it, and more than likely the cracks will get considerably worse (I was given 30 days to accept their offer)
(3) accept their offer

I've reluctantly chosen option 3.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The quote for the labour is $295. Unfortunately, they do have to remove the bumper bar - from my understanding, if it was the upper (& not lower) grill surround, the bumper bar doesn't need to be removed.

(2) leave it, and more than likely the cracks will get considerably worse (I was given 30 days to accept their offer)
(3) accept their offer

I think upper and lower grill require bumper to come off. I tried to change my Calais V grill once but the Bumper had to come off.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

(3) accept their offer

Your other option is to have them simply supply the part and any clips needed.
When the old one gets too crappy to look at, you can get a 3rd party repairer to install it or simply do it at home when you do a headlight globe upgrade... It aint rocket science to get the bar off ;)

My guess is the parts are a trivial price for Holden but the labour is what costs... which is why Holden want you to pay labour...