Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracked crossmember

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
so i went a couple weeks ago to get my new kyb shocks installed and was told there was a crack in the crossmember, i have sourceda secondhand one from the local wreckers for $75 and will be picking it up over the weekend.

my main question is regarding having it fitted,

what type of work is involved with this and what should i be paying around

ty all

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
are you talking about gbox cross member? if so its like 4 bolt and takes about 20mins

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
are you talking about gbox cross member? if so its like 4 bolt and takes about 20mins

nah the one that runs under the engine bay connecting the suspension

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
lots.
lit car up and support the body on stands.
use engine crane to hold engine up.
undo lower arms, steering rack engine mounts then the four bolts that hold it in (maybe rack after dropping the frame) PERFECT time to do you sump gasket while you are there anyway. then reassemble. the mounts will be a pain to line up. i would expect you to need a wheel alignment after.
were is the crack? Can it just be welded?
$75 for a v6 k frame sounds dear, they are junk and never need to be replaced.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
If you had to pay to do it then buy another car.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
yeah, if you have to pay someone else to do the work, it's almost not worth it.

Get your hands on an engine crane, it'll make it much easier. If you're a bit of a tinkerer you'll find it's not too bad of a job. If this is your first time popping the hood, then you're going to **** bricks.

Centy covered it pretty well though.

I'd not suggest getting it welded - with something like the K-Frame it's good to have it in its original whole state - the VN/VP has precious little structural rigidity going for it as it is :p

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
lots.
lit car up and support the body on stands.
use engine crane to hold engine up.
undo lower arms, steering rack engine mounts then the four bolts that hold it in (maybe rack after dropping the frame) PERFECT time to do you sump gasket while you are there anyway. then reassemble. the mounts will be a pain to line up. i would expect you to need a wheel alignment after.
were is the crack? Can it just be welded?
$75 for a v6 k frame sounds dear, they are junk and never need to be replaced.

ty for the info, apparantly not legal to weld them in nsw, they may be junk but i need a replacement soi dont know about never, and i realy dont have the cash for a new car and i am unable to do the work myself ive got a stuffed arm atm making me almost completly useless