Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked Head - does this sound right?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Yeh, thats right.

A new cap and thermo never hurts. W/pump is cheap as so may as well do that at the same time.

He has bigger issues though. A vrs set might fix it, might not.

Not worth getting a mechanic to do a vrs. Only a good idea if you can do it yourself.

190k motor for $1200 is risky.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Yeh, thats right.

A new cap and thermo never hurts. W/pump is cheap as so may as well do that at the same time.

He has bigger issues though. A vrs set might fix it, might not.

Not worth getting a mechanic to do a vrs. Only a good idea if you can do it yourself.

190k motor for $1200 is risky.

Many assume they have a blown head when it over heats. I have a VS here that was claimed to have a cracked head by a mechanic, but it turns out the thermostat was not working causing it to overheat.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Gambor, my car, early this year, was heating up how you describe. I replaced the thermostat, and the radiator cap, and it has been fine ever since.

I think the thermostat was sticking, because it would be OK one day, and over heat the next.
I boiled it, and the new one I was putting in, on the stove, to see the difference. The one I replaced did not seem to open as far, and it closed almost immediately when I took it off the boil. The new one closed slowly.

I think once pressure builds up in the cooling system, the radiator cap is supposed to open the over flow
outlet. The spring loaded part of the cap pushes up to expose the over flow outlet - not 100% sure on this part, someone on here will correct me if I am wrong.

A couple of cheap things to try.
Good luck mate.

I agree with this as well.

We are going ahead with this replacement (and hope nothing major goes wrong afterwards) but I am at a loss how the original engine got to such a state when I handled it with care when driving (and my boss used it primarly for long distance drives across country on business - he is not an aggressive or heavy-footed driver either)

I am glad I do most things myself.

Remove or replace the themostat before going down that path....

Last edited:

Gambor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe
I spoke to the mechanic today - this is the third day the replacement engine was supposed to arrive, but didn't.

He told me the supplier admitted that the replacement engine had "serious problems" before being sold, did he still want it?

The mechanic said he told him "I don't want a dud engine" and was told there was no other VS engine available. But the supplier offered a good condition VT engine (and conversation) at the same price.

I have to admit, this makes me very nervous. A different model engine seems likely to cause issues. At the least I imagine if I took the car to another mechanic later, there would be some sort of "WTF" reaction when they go to work on it.

Our family needs this car on the road ASAP (or I cannot get my daughter to school). Anyone know if a VT engine will be OK in a VS?

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I spoke to the mechanic today - this is the third day the replacement engine was supposed to arrive, but didn't.

He told me the supplier admitted that the replacement engine had "serious problems" before being sold, did he still want it?

The mechanic said he told him "I don't want a dud engine" and was told there was no other VS engine available. But the supplier offered a good condition VT engine (and conversation) at the same price.

I have to admit, this makes me very nervous. A different model engine seems likely to cause issues. At the least I imagine if I took the car to another mechanic later, there would be some sort of "WTF" reaction when they go to work on it.

Our family needs this car on the road ASAP (or I cannot get my daughter to school). Anyone know if a VT engine will be OK in a VS?

The VT motor is pretty much the same as the VS except for differnt bits and peices. You only have to use the parts on your VS for it to fit properly.....

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
yeah mate you can use a VS-VY motor no worries only real difference is they put some pollution control thing on the newer models i think to ditch the new stuff they put on the later model stuff you just need to use the VS inlet manifold to fix that stuff im pretty sure there maybe one or 2 other things but if your mechanic doesn't know about that or how to do it id be going else were man im not sure if im reading it right but from what it sounds the engine your getting offered sounds dodgy any way so look around some wreckers and look online for someone wrecking a low km car and grab the engine and box from that.

A compression test isn't going to show bubbles in the coolant was the car running rough the last time it over heated ? ie sound like its missing ?

Gambor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe
I watch my temp gauge like a hawk all the time after a blown head gasket and warped head in another car years ago.

Engine seemed smooth until the day the heater tap blew as I pulled over, with the temp gauge half-way. The 5-20 second "rough idle, then smooth and fine" issue on cold start began that same day the heater tap was repaired. Its the only indicator I had that maybe the engine was in more serious trouble.

Even with the rough idle on cold start issue, I ran the car for four days to work, 40km each way through peak hour (stop-start) freeway traffic and the engine was smooth throughout, until the day the heat gauge just started to climb out of control. Even though I got a tow, the car was still operating fine, felt smooth, although heat was at 7/10 bars when I got the tow.

No misfiring (except maybe on rough idle/cold start)

I am resigned to the repair now, bit I intend to find out alot more about the car and how it works, and maybe learn to do a bit more of the work myself in the future (part of my job involves repair of computer hardware, so hoping the technical background helps out)

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I doubt you need to replace the motor.

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
haha sadly engines and computers arnt alot alike if its running ok and temp is the only issue id say do as has been said new thermostat even go a 180 instead of the factory 195 its not alot but its just that little extra cooling there only cheap like $10 or so if you need any help im in brissy and have done my fare share of repairs and engine swaps.
Do the basics like thermostat and the likes and you might be sweet and it might buy you some time to look around for a lower km engine and box at a better price and then plan for the swap to be done when you and your kids are on holidays as i said before 290000 others have seen 350000+ with these but 290000 is still alot and its not long before you get other issues