Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracked head

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yeah it should be fine to just check where the leak is coming from. As long as its not driven or run for extended periods of time. Only running the car for a few minutes to check for leaks wont cause it to overheat or do any more damage.

Best of luck man, hopefully its nothing too bad :thumbsup:
It doesnt sound like a cracked head though to me so thats one good thing I think...

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
Hehe, the Series I doesn't have a radiator cap, or opening on the radiator for one. Coolant is filled through the overflow tank, which goes into the surge tank from there.

I never used to understand it when people said their Series I VN's had no radiator cap until i got one :D

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
If you cracked the head or head gasket the car would run like dogs balls and there would be milky white oil or lots of oil in the coolant bottle...

Mate Its your Thermostat and probably the hose at back of throttle body has got a crack or hole in it and leaks coolant once the engine heats up and thermostat opens... If it leaks when engine is on cold start then thermostat is stuck open and needs replacing it causes the hose to blow and car to overheat.

so had to replace the thermostat and put new hose ... costs me $40

But if your engine heats up quick even though you have plenty coolant topped up then thermostat is stuffed for sure .. have look at back of engine behind throttle body where theres a hose,see if its leaking from there...JUst keep topping up the water until you get fixed.

If you have owned the car for a few years and never had thermostat replaced then it sounds like thats the problem to get it done by mechanic should cost no more than $70 so get few free quotes ( call few places for free quote)

to replace the coolant cap lid that has o ring just rub some multipurpose grease and rub into o ring this will help you get a good seal then put back in cap & tighten slowly & replace the coolant bottle hose).

your engine looks like mine ?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/kingpinrules/engine.jpg

Last edited:

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
hi,
i thaught i cracked my heads or did the head gasket afew weeks ago.
turns out it was a heater hose, it melted on the exhaust.
All fixed now though $50 dollars later including coolant.
check your heater hoses.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
sometimes a head can be cracked or the gasket can go, but still not putting oil in the water and vice versa. sometimes there will be a leak into a cylinder so there water won't go into the oil. i know a bloke with that problem right now..

Last edited:

danos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
yer my engine does look similar to yours aussieghostrider just with a different air filter and without that bar thing lol.
but yer, took it to the mechanic and it turns out it was the timing case or something. one of the pipes was blocked and caused it to crack or break or something. so yer, not as bad as first thought.
sorry bout the 'somethings' i dont really no what it was, just a few key words i heard haha.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
yep, we did thr timming case on our series 1 VN too.... prick to work out!! lol took us a while checking all different things til we found it.

Ah I love VN's but I would never have another series 1 :(

D.