Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracked head

danos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
hey
my vn overheated the other day and i think i may have cracked the head. water is leaking from near head although it is hard to see from exactly where.
how can i tell if i have or not?
its going ot the mechanics on monday bit i would like to have a rough idea of what it could be before i take it in.
cheers

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Check under the radiator cap for bubbles in the coolant... If theres bubbles you have probably cracked the head.

Run the engine and have a good look to find where its leaking from though... Could just be a heater valve or something.

danos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
my car doesnt have a radiator cap lol. i dont really have much of an idea with cars tho. but where i put the coolant and water there is no bubbles.

danos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
oh yer, and how much will it cost me if i have cracked the head or blown the head gasket?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you have cracked the head, you're looking at alot of money to have it fixed... Its not cheap man. But if you just put some second hand heads on you could get out of it easier... Great thing about commodores is second hand parts are reasonable in price.

You must have a radiator cap? The radiator cap is the cap in the middle of the red square in the attached pic... Its a VL engine bay but the radiator cap and radiator is in the same spot on both cars anyway..

Attachments

• Radiator Cap.JPG
    Radiator Cap.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 5,872

danos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
yer there is no radiator cap where you said, my dad and i found it odd aswell. his vt has one in a similar position to that picture but my doesnt have one at all. the overflow bottle is the only place where we can add coolants. and that is bone dry at the moment because whenever i put water or coolant in it just runs straight out of the leak.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well normally when you have a cracked head, the coolant leaks into the engine oil, so use your dipstick to check your oil in your car and see if theres any signs of coolant on the dipstick or in the oil. If not its probably just leaking from somewhere else.

Best bet is to try filling the coolant again and finding exactly where its leaking from.

But i'd be putting a radiator cap on soon if I was you.

danos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
yer ok, cheers for your help anyway man.
just hope its nothing too major.

danos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
oh yer, and is it ok to run the car, and poor coolant in while its running to try find out where it is coming from? cheers