Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked Rim Repair (the truth)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
sounds like you had a the right people repair it. my brother does metallurgical testing for a living. his company is contracted by oil companies for tank and weld inspections of all types. heres a picture of indications in welds using penetrant testing. this would be a failed weld. testing yours with high dollar equipment would be the only way to tell...

IMAG02982_zpsce861c7a.jpg

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
what makes a welded rim un roadworthy??? anyone actually got the law or Australian standard on it???

when I had my wheel painted I had them done a wheel repair shop. and they had heaps of welders in there. had photo of rims with huge chunks (like 10cm of lip missing) missing and repaired photos. pretty sure they wouldn't be filling it with bog

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Well, there had to be at least one goose to say it, congratulations.

That's right as soon as someone mentions rims or brakes someone has a crack.

And if you're talking about steel ceptors al. I'd consider running a 420kw monster on wonky steel rims that aren't meant to go over a certain speed more dangerous than running the risk of a very slow air leak. That's if they're captors though. Alloys were made for a reason you know.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
sounds like you had a the right people repair it. my brother does metallurgical testing for a living. his company is contracted by oil companies for tank and weld inspections of all types. heres a picture of indications in welds using penetrant testing. this would be a failed weld. testing yours with high dollar equipment would be the only way to tell...

IMAG02982_zpsce861c7a.jpg
I was scrolling backwards and saw the pic before the text. Thought I was going to have to ban someone for posting pics of dicks being sucked.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
That's right as soon as someone mentions rims or brakes someone has a crack.

And if you're talking about steel ceptors al. I'd consider running a 420kw monster on wonky steel rims that aren't meant to go over a certain speed more dangerous than running the risk of a very slow air leak. That's if they're captors though. Alloys were made for a reason you know.

No i don't run ceptors.
Alloys were made because they're cheap for manufacturers to cast, weight wasn't a primary factor. My current rims weigh less than the original "Alloy" cast aluminium SS rims.
I'm not going to get all preachy about metal fatigue. Clearly the wrong audience. Forget I said anything.

Good job with the welding. Looks tops.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I had a cracked rim repaired years ago (Cheviot) and the rim came back in good nick, I had 5 so ended up using it as the spare.

It was suggested by the tyre place, I was quite surprised when they said they could do it and obviously pleased as it meant I could keep my 5th (deep dish 5 slot 13*8" inch rims for a HR Holden don't grow on trees!).

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Tubless tyres do not "blow out", so even if the rim cracked again the worst that can happen is a rapid deflation.

Doesn't say anything about a rim being welded in the ADR's, so as long as the repairer is competent, then it will be fine.

It is, however, unroadworthy to have a cracked rim on the car. Once it is repaired, it is no longer cracked.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
I was scrolling backwards and saw the pic before the text. Thought I was going to have to ban someone for posting pics of dicks being sucked.

Yep. Thanks for that.

Now I cant unsee and am forced to unsubscribe from this thread.

Cya gents! :p

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2