Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracked sump

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
hey guys need a bit of help, 1 of my friends has a vy and she put a little crack in the sump, how can i stop it leaking, can i take the sump off somehow and put another 1 on or is there another way, cheers

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
you could replace the sump with another.
its not an unreasonably hard type of job but it is a PITA type of job to do.

you could also try a putty type compound that will withstand the heat and the oil.
im sure there are plenty of products out there that will do the job.
Maybe ask your local Autobarn to see if they have something.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
While there are proprietary products that might work, the problem will be that you can never ged rid of the oil around the crack as it will seep out, even from an empty sump, for months and will prevent any product from adhering to the sump. Not only that, the actual crack will always have oil in it so the sealant wouldn't work.

Being alloy, the sump pan won't be cheap, but if the crack is small, a professional welding shop could easily weld it up for a reasonable price.

That would be my first option in your position.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
find a reputable metal fab shop to tig weld the crack up,

you will need to remove the sump, but it would be the cheapest option

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
We could help you. I work for Australian Specialty Racecraft(ASR) (My dad's Business). We build the High Energy Range of oilpans and also produce our own ASR Oilpan Range. TIG-ing that up wouldn't be a problem. PM me if you wanna no more mate, we're in Vic in Dandenong. Ohh yeh if anybody needs a High Performance/Volume sump for anything (we do one for almost everything) contact me.

Cheers
Ben

CommodoreAdict

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Hi, how did you go with the sump? did you remove it, if so how much was the labour? I have a small hole in mine and to remove the sump requires the engine to be removed as it goes up and over the cross member.. iv been qouted as 7hs labour and a new sump is $830 on its own!! hence im not getting one unless theres an engine attatched to it aswell!! lol wreckers do them for 220 but im yet to find someone who actually has one!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I used JB weld on a EL sump many years ago. Lasted 100,000 km or so before the car got moved on.

Reaper