Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracked sump

josh.meaden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore acclaim
hey guys,
im driving a vy acclaim thats sitting pretty low, i cracked the sump the other day from being silly. and was speaking to a mate the other day whos a mechanic. he said that to replace the sump he'd have to pull the whole engine out and do it that way. hes doing for real cheap cash. but will still cost about 500-600 + ill be getting other stuff done. But i was thinking about it.... does anyone know if i could seal up the small crack ( 40mm long very thin ) with some type of high heat resistant sealer? this would save the time and hastle of taking the engine out etc and a new sump..

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
maybe u could weld a piece of metal over it?

CommodoreAdict

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
There's some epoxy type putty that loctite have that is oil resistant and should seal just a crack up nicely

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I read on here recently that the sump could be removed while the engine is still in?

CommodoreAdict

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
You need to raise the engine up and support it as a minimum to get the sump out over the cross member and access to bolts. Im about to have a go at doing mine next week if i can find another sump (yet to find a wreckers with one) if not ill patch it for now whilst i wait or may just get it welded up.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Depending on where the crack is, you could get someone that knows how to weld, and get them to use a Mig Welder, using aluminium weld wire to weld the crack.
They may have to give the surface a light grind so that the weld holds better.
Would be better and stronger than metal putty sealant.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
If you raise the engine and drop the subframe a little the sump can be removed without seperating the trans from the engine. Not a fun job but it can be done and is still less work than an engine pull.

pl0x

Pl0x
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LS2 wagon
Whats that puttys stuffs name? think i need some lol

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Dont compromise , it will be too hard to weld as the metal has oil soaking which will cause a weak weld , probably leak again down the track- same with any sealants or putty's , to hard to get a good bond. Just try & get one from wreckers or ebay & raise engine / drop front subframe & swap the sumps over , make sure you buy a NEW sump gasket , about $40 from dealer , new sumps are about $180 trade price, $250 retail. Depending on your comprehensive insurance you can claim it on your insurance if yiou have no excess????