Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracking open fuel tank to change fuel pump?!

VS5spdV6uteowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 5SPD UTE
ive heard many ways from ppl onthis forum and i thank you all for ur time, i was wondering if i can crack my fuel tank open to change my pump in my vs commodore ute, i have removed the panel in the rear tray and undone the bolts circled, i attempted to jar it open but the material looks sensitive so i wanted to get a second or third approval before i commence it! is this a practical way to change it? cheers!

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 13,839
Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
to my knowledge the tank is a sealed unit, on the sedans it is utes im not familar with.

Empty the tank, get under the ute, disconnect all plugs and hoses, remove the 6 bolts that hold the sender unit in and rotate the unit 90 degrees so the float arm fits in the notch in the tank. remove slowly, and unplug the hose inside the tank connected to the pump. then u can remove the pump and reverse this proceedure to install.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
to my knowledge the tank is a sealed unit, on the sedans it is utes im not familar with.

Empty the tank, get under the ute, disconnect all plugs and hoses, remove the 6 bolts that hold the sender unit in and rotate the unit 90 degrees so the float arm fits in the notch in the tank. remove slowly, and unplug the hose inside the tank connected to the pump. then u can remove the pump and reverse this proceedure to install.

enough has been said, that's hit the nail on the head beautifully.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
I am certainly no authority on the issue, but the Gregory's manual says that the fuel tank has to be removed from utilities to get at the sender/fuel pump unit

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Thats what the factory manual says too...you have to take the tank out to get to the sender unit.

VS5spdV6uteowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 5SPD UTE
sweet thanks guys! emptying the fuel tank, best way to explain it to someone with not much car knowledge haha?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try this help page from Ms Gregory.

Attachments

• ute.jpg
    ute.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 13,076

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I can only assume the ute is the same as the wagon. I did my wagon with the tank in. Alot less rooting around compared to removing the tank

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
No utes and wagons are different, ute has a rectangular tank fitted on the right side of the tail shaft.
Utes, statesmans and wagons use similar floor pans but that is where most of the rear end similarities end.

SW