Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracking Track stripes on SSV

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all,

I have a red SSV with track stripes... 7500km on the clock and 4 months old.

Noticed on Sat that the track stripes have become brittle along the edge of the windscreen, and are cracking and lifting.

It is almost as if the heat of the glass or rubber seal is causing it.

Anyone else had this happen?

I'll let the dealer replace them.... if it happens again, they can pay to have them painted on.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Sorry i know this is off topic, but why exactly do they call them "Track" stripes?

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
why do they call them track stripes..... cos GT stripes was already taken!!! hehehehe!

Just a marketing name... that's all.

re is it kept in the Sun... only while I'm at work... garaged at home... but that is besides the point.... if you pay over $340 for decals... you expect them to last. Maybe not the life of the car.... but 5 or 10 years is not unreasonable. But 4 months?????? could have cut them out of contact and had them last just as long.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ive they are made of stuff that wont stand UV, sounds like Holden's going to have fun replacing them all. Not that I've seen many with the stripes but there would be a few around

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I thought they are actually painted on!!!!

Last edited:

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
That would of been the better option, BUT that would cost too much ppfffttt! if problems like this arise more frequently with the stripes, painting them would actually be cheaper. :)

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
The funny thing is, that when they are ordered as part of the build, the car actually goes off to HSVi to get them fitted before it is delivered.... so it actually wears an HSV compliance plate for vinyl stickers!! pretty funny when you think about it. By the time they send them off to HSVi, put on the stickers, stamp and pop rivvet the compliance plate, and send them back to Elizabeth, they could have sprayed them in the paint shop.

Here's the real funny bit. My mate at the holden dealer rang me the morning the car was to be delivered and said "know I know this sounds strange.... but you don't want the track stripes running across your sunroof do you?". Turns out the clown who fitted them, cut around the sunroof... but didn't think to peel them off the glass.

"I...I...I....I say THAT boy is as sharp as a bowling ball!!"