Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crackling noise in from end of 2009 caprice

Vzss2233

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vzss 5.7
Hi all,

Just throwing it out ther to see if the could be any experience with an issue I'm having.

I have a 2009 caprice 6.0, immaculate condition apart from a crackling noise in the front end somewhere.

When I start he car and drive there is a. Lose that sounds like it's got a broken cv like on a front wheel drive.

This noise lasts for about 3-5 mins and you can make it intermittent by slightly turning the steering wheel. It only does it when the car is underway. (Silent when stationary)

I have rencently thrown some bucks at it to try have it fixed. To no luck. Work has been completed by a very reliable well known company, not going to name drop, but its no one man band.

New lower control arm ball joints
New tie rods
New shocks and springs all round
New D rubbers in the front
New rear gear box mount
New top shock mounts
New drag links
All over tighten up of steering and suspension components.

Any one with a similar/same issue I'd love to here what path you took.

Cheers boys

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Straight away I am thinking bushes/rubbers holding front cross member to sub frame, and/or possibly the rubbers on the arms which go from lower control arms to front frame (cannot remember what they are called).

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Crackling? I've never heard of suspension crackling... do you mean rattling? Also, what possessed you/your mechanic to change a gearbox mount for a front end noise? I've got a similar era WM as you and there's no way half of what you replaced would need replacing. I'd be going to another mechanic personally! Sorry, don't mean to offend.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
'Drag Links' is maybe what you call the Caster Arms, from front of Chassis to the steering knuckle.
The large rubber bush at the front end will rarely need replacing, the ball joint stud at the rear can get bent, but the ball joint doesn't really wear.
Replace the entire arm, quicker and just as cost effective, but be aware of the bolt tightening procedure, and use NEW bolts. Used bolts and incorrect tightening will result in the noises described.
The Lower Control arm, short and at 90 degs to the chassis is similar, the stud can get bent, replace it outright, but the tightening procedure, altho different to the Caster Arm, must be observed.
The Sway Bar links can get rattly, replace as a pair, don't bother with the adjustable ones. High mileage cars may develop noise in a worn front wheel bearing assembly, or in the rubber bush at the very top of the front struts. The ball-bearing race under the top rubber can also get noisy, it carries the whole front weight of the car, and when worn...
Buy new struts which have the dampers (shocks) built in, and prepare them with new rubber top bushes and bearings
You did not indicate that your mechanic had replaced those bearings, probably the worst culprits for noise...
Strut replacement is a 20" per side job, if you replace assemblies.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
How many kms on your '09 Caprice? Curious as to why springs needed replacing, unless height adjustment
How did the spannerman replace the lower control arm ball joints?
The VE-VF series VPP Mac-Strut front end has to be one of the simplest around, and easiest to service

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Straight away I am thinking bushes/rubbers holding front cross member to sub frame, and/or possibly the rubbers on the arms which go from lower control arms to front frame (cannot remember what they are called).
There is no such rubbers holding front 'Crossmember' in place, the cars have 8 bolts holding an almost HQ style front subframe in place, first service at 1500km should have them tightened, anywhere up to 2 turns, most dealers don't