Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crane 286 2 big or not???

VL2Di4

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 355
Hey Guys,Whats Your Thoughts On Which Cam To Use In A Efi 5ltr

Mods Are As Follows

308 Block Balanced Bottom End
Acl Flat Tops With 10:1comp
A9l rods
Acl Race serries Bearings
Standard Vn Heads
Standard Manifold With 70mmTB
3.9 Or 4.11 Gears
Pacies 2/12"Mand Bent Exhaust
Auto(what size stally would be good)

Would cam do you think would suit my mods??
Will I Need Bigger Injectors??
What Sort Of Power Will I Be Looking At??

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Mate, i reckon a crane 286 would be ideal for the engine you have described. I think you should be able to use the standard injectors with the memcal that is supplied with the package. I would think a 2500-3000 stall would be used with this combo. I would suggest getting a good port job done on the heads with the Crane 286. Cant give a figure on power but i dare say it would get up and boogy with 3.9 gears in the diff!

VL2Di4

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 355
Just had a look on the crane website,What do you think of the 284 its more in the rev range of the standard manifold say 5800rpm where the 286 is more like 6500rpm.Would you still go the 3000 stally with the 284, with 4.11 in the bum or you think 3.9 will be better

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
VL2Di4 said:
Just had a look on the crane website,What do you think of the 284 its more in the rev range of the standard manifold say 5800rpm where the 286 is more like 6500rpm.Would you still go the 3000 stally with the 284, with 4.11 in the bum or you think 3.9 will be better

G'day VL2Di4,

Just looking at your set up, it looks like your on the right track so far.
My opinion on the Crane 284, 286.
I am just speaking from my experiences, these camshaft run far too much
duration to be use with a closed plenum manifold like the bunch of bananas
you currently have, the low engine speed misfires that are apparent with these camshafts, badly foul spark plug and are perfect bait fot the EPA and
will require a 3000+ stall converter.
There is nothing wrong with trying to obtain the highest possible power output, however there are many ways of doing so.
If your heart is set on running these cams, all i can suggest to you is to get
yourself something like a harrop or redline single plane manifold with a Cutler
four barrel throttle body that's If your serious about good power with decent
amount of torque through a good part of the rev range.
If you wish to retain your bunch of bananas and make more power than the Crane can offer with better bottom end , no high stall, and far better driving
and idle characteristics, then give me a call on 0411404659 and I will discuss
some other options.

Cheers Lou.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Lou if I can get my VP V8 Executive down to about 14.3 on the 1/4 mile during this year with the stock converter, stock diff and a very good exhaust could one of your cams get me down to a 13.9 (just need a backup plan to make 13's because that's my aim for this car)

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
greenfoam said:
Lou if I can get my VP V8 Executive down to about 14.3 on the 1/4 mile during this year with the stock converter, stock diff and a very good exhaust could one of your cams get me down to a 13.9 (just need a backup plan to make 13's because that's my aim for this car)

G'day Foam,

In order to knock of 1.3 seconds of the quarter, It's going depend on a few other variables like gear ratio, tyres and suspension, an if you running 14.3
at the mo, what cam are you currently using and what comp ratio is your engine? To run this sort of time in a VP you will need aprox 250-260 rear wheel HP.

Cheers Lou.
so it's not impossible.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
what about stock internals what crane cam is suited? for 2500stall,extractors,shift kit,cai,hsv chip, 3.55 diff?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Blue-Chip said:
G'day VL2Di4,
My opinion on the Crane 284, 286.
are perfect bait fot the EPA and
will require a 3000+ stall converter.
Cheers Lou.
ok, ive got a dynotec 286, eys it is big, i run a 2500 stall, 860cfm ported banana intake manifold:p , 75mm t/b, havent had any problems with foulings plugs as such, but get the low rpm misfire occaisionally, big top end difference with this cam s the duration is a bit extreme but i now have to rip the engine out cos the guys at road traffic now know i have all this stuff and arent liking me at all.....
lou, would the STARR intake manifold and 90 mm t/b setup be good enough to run the cam properly with 9.0:1 compression ratio as i have??

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
boona15 said:
ok, ive got a dynotec 286, eys it is big, i run a 2500 stall, 860cfm ported banana intake manifold:p , 75mm t/b, havent had any problems with foulings plugs as such, but get the low rpm misfire occaisionally, big top end difference with this cam s the duration is a bit extreme but i now have to rip the engine out cos the guys at road traffic now know i have all this stuff and arent liking me at all.....
lou, would the STARR intake manifold and 90 mm t/b setup be good enough to run the cam properly with 9.0:1 compression ratio as i have??

boona15, you state that you don't have a problem with fouling plugs, yet you do have occasional misfires, these misfires are due to plug fouling and are
then cleaning then selves up wen engine is taken into higher RPM range.
For starters the 9.0:1 compression is abit low for this camshaft as your dynamic comp ratio will decrease due to high overlap.
Boona the most successful intake manifold combo i have seen for this size cam
is a red line single plane manifold with a 4 barrel throttle body, this will change
engine characteristics quite a bit for the better.
If you were to go for a Starr manifold with a 90mm throttle body, you will kill
what little throttle response you may have had in the low RPM range, due to
the slowing of you intake velocities.
To make this setup work even better I would ever go as far as placing 4 60lb
injectors above the throttle plates instead of having 8 30lb injectors in the
manifold runners, if you chose to do this you will find that the engine will idle heaps better and produce **** loads more bottom end torque, due to the change from a closed plenum to an open plenum.
Prior to considering these options please disregard what some mechanics and
mates have told you in the past, and have a good logical think about what i am trying to tell you here.
The other thing I may mention to you is that, if you have noticed at the drags, there are more carburetter cars doing better times than fuel injected
cars, and that's with ignition system being a dizzy that has limited spark control and only have a dozen fuel circuit in the carb controlling fuel.
With the setup I have mentioned in regards to open plenum fuel injection, you have excellent control of both fuel and spark so there for you will be a winner.

Cheers Lou
BCT

uts355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore V8
Just a question to Lou. Lets say having a 10 to one compression with VN Group A twin throttle, will this solve the low speed miss fire?