Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crane 286 degree'ing

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

i dont get it really, engine is running fine, no missing, nice lump in the cam, all cylinders even around 130psi, ......

hmmmm....
you reckon at least 9.5:1 comp (in an above post)
but only 130 in the cylinders?? :whistling

you have a problem, real 9.5 should give you at least 150
and on a new engine above 160psi

As you said
"dyno guy was shaking his head a bit too. his comment was "i dont understand, its all there, but we couldnt get it to ping"
I dont think you have anywhere like 9.5 ...more like stock comp of 8.6. you will not ping at 8.6:1

From your pics it looks like yr heads have not been sliced ...and the chambers looks bigger (less comp again)
Yr pics dont show it but you got flattops or dished pistons?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I agree ^^^^^ the chambers have been cleaned up, I don't think the compression is anywhere near enough. To much cam and not enough compression allways ends badly

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Yeh, well in his my ride section it says standard crank, rods & pistons. Standard pistons will give no where near 9.5:1 comp, especially when (as mentioned above) the chambers have been opened up. I would say it would have less than stock comp.....The neddies are missing because it's over cammed!

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
put the 600dp on it give the dizzy a turn and make sure u have at least 36 - 38 degrees total advance and give her another run! if ur down on comp a bit more ignition timming always helps!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Are the pistons dished??? My stock as a rock (never had the rocker covers off) 5 litre was pulling around150psi in each pot. It was 8.5:1 compression (at the most)

My 4 bolter with a stock cam (approx crane 276 - 214 duration and 464 thou lift) with flat tops and a static compression of 9.5:1 was pumping around 180 lbs on each pot. I suspect you cam is to big for what you have. Cannot see how a stock bottom end will get enough huff for your puff.

Reaper

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
If the pistons are stock, they will certainly be dished. As has been suggested, this engine should be pumping out heaps more compression with a compression test if it did indeed have 9.5:1. There is a perfectly good reason why it wouldn't ping on the dyno....

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
omg, derailed :( lol!

anyway, no, the chambers have not been taken out, just polished up with wire wheel and the dags taken off. the pistons are dished but stock comp is 9.4;1 on the black motor before it went to ULP? heads have also been shaved. the pic on my ride section was before they went off to get finished. k-lines, seats, acid bath, crack test etc all been done.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
omg, derailed :( lol!

anyway, no, the chambers have not been taken out, just polished up with wire wheel and the dags taken off. the pistons are dished but stock comp is 9.4;1 on the black motor before it went to ULP? heads have also been shaved. the pic on my ride section was before they went off to get finished. k-lines, seats, acid bath, crack test etc all been done.

Either way the cams too big and the compression is too low (whatever it may be). The 286 is a big cam for the old heads, there's been plenty of other people with the same combo also make very little power. If you were to do something so simple as change the cam to something more suitable you would have a much faster car

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
its really stange though, because the cam thats in the car is only .001 thou lift and 8 degrees duration bigger than the previous cam which gave me uber power.

according to mr ellery :(
VK blue option L31 (VT engine prefix) 9.2;1 stock compression

regardless of all that crap, what we are getting into is not what i was asking.

there were three different standard camshafts for holden 308 up to VN when they change to EFI, there were also seven different standard timing chain settings. the problem is that i dont know which timing chain setup is on my block. so in all honesty i could be running it at 2 deg retarded just by using my current chain.

what i was asking is, is there someone out there that has this engine setup and what degree did they set their advance to?

i can go all out and drop it in at 4 degrees advanced, but if i am currently retarded by 2 deg that would make me 6 deg further advanced than where it is now which might make some serious detonation.

please can we stay forcused on the question. thanks.

(god, you know what? daling in this cam would prove less of a head f.. than getting an answer)

Last edited: