Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crane 286 degree'ing

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
car just came back from dyno, 110kw :( :( :(

the dude said he couldnt get it to ping so his guess was that the 286 needed to be advanced (i installed it straight up). i have all the kit i need to do the job, but have been told that finding true TDC on 308's is almost impossible without taking the heads off due to the spark plug angle.

so here is me, trying to cut corners.

has anyone played around with the advance on the 286 crane cam? if so what degree did you set it at, i have found another forum saying 4 degrees, but i wanted to get second, third and even fifth opinions if i could.

i really really really CBF taking the heads off to find true TDC

110kw is gay.

stay tuned for a cheap VK commodore on ebay over the next few days :(

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You dont need to take the heads off to find TDC, cam timing depends on the rest of your motor, you can't just say 4 degree advanced, some motors will be faster 4 degrees retarded, it depends on what other parts you have in it

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
was the cam diled in correctly coz if its not this can hinder power

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
u must have at least 10.1 comp, good manifold and carby, extractors and good exhaust to make good power with a 286! if its a standard engine u r wasting your time worring bout cam timing!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
*yawn*

thank you for letting me know what i need to do to my engine. p.s. for the record, 9.5;1 is fine, which is what i have.

degreeing in the cam doesnt matter didly squat what you have done to the engine. it is the method to find true top dead center and center of cam lobe overlap.

so, back to my question;

does anyone who has this cam know what degree advanced they should be? straight up is not the way to go, and i want experience to talk please.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
the 286 i have in my engine dialed in straight up and makes good power! u will find advancing or retarding cam timing 2 or 4 deg mite make beter power but it will only b 10kw here or there! if your cam timing is out? it is way out by the power figures your engine is making. if u installed the cam straight up and your happy u timed it properly with 9 links from dot to dot at tdc? id say u have problems ealswhere

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah the chain is nine links, checked and rechecked. dyno guy was shaking his head a bit too. his comment was "i dont understand, its all there, but we couldnt get it to ping"

there may be a slight problem wih fueling due to it just running a crap in tank fuel pump, so gonna remedy that this weekend. might put the holley 600DP on it too to see if the quaddy isnt holding it back.

well anyway i got a rollermaster timing chain, so am gonna try 4 deg advanced, but if yours is straight up and delivering power then it must be something else.

i dont get it really, engine is running fine, no missing, nice lump in the cam, all cylinders even around 130psi, and the weirdest thing is on my way home from the dyno i BURNED a new model audi quattro...

*edit, is yours a 286 EFI? cos' that would make it a whole nutha story.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR